Question PC Restarting with Error ID 41, zero bugcheck code

Oct 20, 2022
Hey folks,

My PC has been doing random restarts with Error ID 41 in the event viewer with BugCheckCode 0. There's no BSOD accompanying it. It had been happening sporadically for a few weeks whilst I was on Windows 10. It can happen in a variety of games, though some produce it more regularly than others (high demand games that eat into CPU and GPU, e.g. Elden Ring, but games just bringing the Wattage high on GPU can do it too, e.g. Raft and V Rising). It's went from a very rare (say once a week) issue to an easy-to-reproduce issue daily by playing specific intensive games. Other games, however, just can't produce the issue despite being intensive, e.g. Hitman 3 with DLSS on can chew up 80% of the GPU and eats its fair share of the CPU load but I've never had the sudden restart on that.

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 when replacing my CPU/MoBo/RAM. Clean reinstall, fully uninstalled then reinstalled GPU drivers.

My Specs:

i7-12700k CPU
2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 Motherboard
RTX 3080Ti Founder's Edition GPU (Got on release, so about a full year old?) - The GPU uses two 8x2 pin connectors for power, not one that splits to two, so it should be able to pull all the power it wants.
Corsair 850i PSU. (About 3 years old, replaced an aging one before it)

I've tried memory diagnostics with no issues on the RAM (Tried it in the other two RAM slots, still no issues), tried running long tests with OCCT and it found no errors after 1 hour on CPU and 1 hour on RAM. Ran 3DMark raytracing benchmarks on a loop for over 30 minutes to see if the GPU would flip on me but it seems to hold quite happily when fully utilized. The PSU is attached to a new surge protector so I'm confident the issue doesn't come from outside the PC.

I'm wondering if it might be my PSU. 850W should handle this system fine but I've heard about power spikes being bad with the 3080Ti and my running theory is the PSU just doesn't handle that. I can't produce errors by just stressing the GPU and so it seems maybe the PSU just doesn't like dealing with a high CPU and GPU load together and maybe power spikes send it over the edge? I ask mainly because this is my 2nd time building a rig in 6 or 7 years and I'm unsure after trying to rule out as much as I can with what I've got at hand.

The only other thing I noticed is an error with "Event 56, Application Popup" 2 seconds before the sudden shutdown critical error.
"The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

If anyone more experienced than myself has some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Not wanting to have to splash out £150-£200 on a new PSU if I don't have to, or send my GPU in for repairs if I don't have to either. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022
BGiFB4S.jpg

Had an old PSU tester in a drawer, though no instructions etc with it. Plugged in the 24 pin motherboard cable and also tried plugging in each cable that powers the GPU separately. Results looked the exact same each time, the 5vSB and +5V went 4.9 and 5.0 frequently (Changes every 1-2 seconds?), I'm guessing the 3.2V not being over is a good sign but I can't pretend like I actually know exactly what this is telling me otherwise other than that basically nothing changed from cable to cable. Not sure how to test this particular issue though given it's not like it happens passively when the PC is idle or prevents me turning it on.

Oct 20, 2022
Bit the bullet and replaced the Power Supply with a new Corsair HX1000i. I can't tell if the extra juice is the help in terms of GPU transient power spikes or if the old one was just getting unreliable as I don't have another gaming rig to check it with, but either way the problem cleaned up with a new PSU.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
error 41 indicates that the previous shutdown did not complete. ie the system was rebooted without completion of the shutdown process. Pretty common if you reboot a sleeping machine. For example, you find that the keyboard will not wake the machine since (often because the usb port is asleep) sometimes you just have to go into windows device manager and disable sleep for the usb port that is used by the device that you want to wake the machine with.

(right click on the port to bring up the properties, then find the power management tab and tell windows not to not turn it off to save power.

other causes would be bugs in the power management. you can tell windows to run in high performance mode to avoid the issue until you get a bios update.