Question PC restarts after few mins of playing "heavy" games.

Nov 16, 2019
My PC is restarting after playing "heavy" games like Rainbow 6 Siege, Squad, Apex Legends. It literally restart just like that, like nothing happend.. I can easily play "light" games like League of Legends or CS:GO. I tried to find some clues in windows event logs but nothings there. Yesterday i bought new CPU (i7 860) so i thought that was the problem.. but i tried cpu diagnosis, cpu stresser and everything was fine. Then i tried GPU benchmark and stresser cuz i thought its something with GPU.. but gpu was fine too. I reinstalled windows and also RAM is fine and now im out of ideas what it could be, can u help me out ?
i7 860
gtx 660
DP55SB
8 GB RAM
400W supply
WIN 10

Nov 16, 2019
What make and model PSU is it?

Bear in mind the general recommended wattage for the GTX660 is 450W, and if yours is a poor quality 400W, then this is even more important.

It says on psu "MODEL ATX-400w PFC". I thought about PSU but with my last cpu (i5 650) there was no problem with playing games like this. I guess with new CPU i must upgrade PSU too right

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It says on psu "MODEL ATX-400w PFC". I thought about PSU but with my last cpu (i5 650) there was no problem with playing games like this. I guess with new CPU i must upgrade PSU too right
The CPU can play an important part, but it also could quite simply be that the PSU is now on it's last legs. PSUs deteriorate over time, and eventually, all PSUs die out. And if that is the only marking you can see on the PSU, then it is likely very poor quality, so it's life span is likely to be both shorter and could cause instability (such as random restarts) and even damage to the rest of the system.

Ultimately, you were likely already cutting it fine with the current PSU, now adding that little more strain can take it over the edge.

Firstly I'd double check CPU and GPU temps under load using software such as HWInfo and check max temps.
If there is no overheating - I'd try another good quality and higher wattage PSU and see if the restarts still persists.

Nov 16, 2019
The CPU can play an important part, but it also could quite simply be that the PSU is now on it's last legs. PSUs deteriorate over time, and eventually, all PSUs die out. And if that is the only marking you can see on the PSU, then it is likely very poor quality, so it's life span is likely to be both shorter and could cause instability (such as random restarts) and even damage to the rest of the system.

Ultimately, you were likely already cutting it fine with the current PSU, now adding that little more strain can take it over the edge.

Firstly I'd double check CPU and GPU temps under load using software such as HWInfo and check max temps.
If there is no overheating - I'd try another good quality and higher wattage PSU and see if the restarts still persists.

I just played Rainbow 6 Siege and right before restart i had around 70 C CPU and around 65 C GPU. By stressing CPU and GPU i had much more C than 70 and 65 and nothing happend. So its not overheating.. How many W on PSU r u recommending me ?