[SOLVED] PC restarts instantly when starting OCCT Power Test and in Prime95

edward.vasilache

Commendable
May 17, 2021
My PC restarts while playing some games (e.g. CS:GO, Assassin's Creed Odyssey) so I installed different utilities such as Prime95 (v30.3) and OCCT to run some tests.

With Prime95 Small and Smallest FFTs, the PC restarts instantly.
With Prime95 Large FFTs, the PC didn't restart after running the test for 10 minutes.
The PC also restarts instantly with OCCT CPU Small Data Set AVX2 and OCCT Power Test AVX2.

HWiNFO logs are available here: https://gofile.io/d/GhCjEQ
Some screenshots from OCCT: https://ibb.co/album/bgTjyt

I have the following configuration:
Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
CPU Cooler: Alphacool Eisbaer LT120
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE
PSU: Cougar Power 700W (CGR B2-700) 80 Bronze Plus
Memory: Patriot Viper 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

The estimated wattage on PCPartPicker is 484W.
The components are not overclocked AFAIK (BIOS screenshot) and I don't have any experience with overclocking.
I set the RAM frequency to 3000 MHz and toggled XMP on/off but the problem persists.

What could be the issue? Could it be the PSU?
I don't care about passing the tests but I don't want the PC to restart while gaming.
My thermals are not that great (~35°C idle but ~80-85°C while gaming) and I'm considering moving everything to a new case with 240/360mm coolers.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
If it's shutting off instantly upon starting them... hmm, that's too quick to be thermal.
I think those specific tests are tripping over-voltage or current draw limits, and the motherboard nopes the heck out.

You're not overclocking, but if the motherboard has high auto volt settings, the SVID controller makes the voltage regular shut off...
Or if the Intel defined power limits were raised/removed, but the current limit was never adjusted along with it, that would also make it shut off.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

This could really be a few things. However a some key points stand out:

My PC restarts while playing some games
This can often be indicative of faulting PSUs as effectively the PC will trip as more load and more power is induced.
With Prime95 Small and Smallest FFTs, the PC restarts instantly.
This could theoretically mean CPU fault equally, but can also potentially point to PSU as the load increases.
PSU: Cougar Power 700W (CGR B2-700) 80 Bronze Plus
Poor quality PSU, Cougar CMX is not a good PSU and that could quite easily mean it could be the problem, especially if it is aged. But to be clear, you don't need more wattage, you need better quality.

My thermals are not that great (~35°C idle but ~80-85°C while gaming)
Assuming this is just CPU - that's not that big of a problem, ideally below 80 is best, but below 85 is fine. The throttle temp for the 9700K is 100'C

• Have you verified all drivers (including GPU and Chipset) drivers are up to date, NOT using a driver updater app?
  • Have you reset the BIOS to default to ensure no settings have been misconfigured?
  • Have you monitored CPU AND GPU temps under load?
  • Could well be the PSU faulting based on some of the indications you've made. Even if it wasn't, it's not a PSU I'd want to be using.

edward.vasilache

Commendable
May 17, 2021
Thank you for your suggestions!
I replaced the PSU with a be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W and unfortunately the issue persists.
All drivers are up-to-date and resetting the BIOS to default also didn't help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it's shutting off instantly upon starting them... hmm, that's too quick to be thermal.
I think those specific tests are tripping over-voltage or current draw limits, and the motherboard nopes the heck out.

You're not overclocking, but if the motherboard has high auto volt settings, the SVID controller makes the voltage regular shut off...
Or if the Intel defined power limits were raised/removed, but the current limit was never adjusted along with it, that would also make it shut off.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution