Question PC restarts itself when playing any game.

Aug 25, 2020
First, i'm 5 days over warranty deadline so i cannot return anything unfortunately. I am entirely new to this as well, it was a prebought PC from Newegg. Everything was fine at first. I should have returned it but thought i could live with the problem (which was negligible -at the time-)

A month ago i bought this computer and it was working fine. Every now and then my PC would restart when playing certain games. I can't remember but i think RDR2 started the crashes, perhaps some lower level games as well. However in the last 3 days, I can't play ANYTHING above something like Runescape. RDR2 crashes in 2 min of gameplay. ATLAS (pirate ARK) in the same amount of time.

GPU had a bad "slot" in the mobo when it arrived due to careless UPS, these forced restarts made it so i couldn't even see my HDMI screen anymore. I put the GPU in a second slot and i no longer have an HDMI error, but now my computer just restarts every time i play an intensive game. It never actually turns off though. I'm assuming this is the PSU? Perhaps too much heat? This computer should handle these games nicely at 60fps so i don't understand the issue.

If i DO need a new PSU, what would be a good compatible one with my specs? Price isn't an issue as long as it's not outrageous. If it's the GPU dying though i'm going to be super pissed because that's arguably the most expensive hardware in my PC

Specs :

16 GB DDR4 memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8 GB GDDR6

PSU - 550W 80+ Bronze (after researching i think this MAY be the issue, a faulty PSU. Don't hold me to that though)

Case - Rosewill SPECTRA D100 ATX Mid Tower With Tempered Glass Case (4 x 120 mm RGB fans)

OS - Win10 64bit.

Mobo - AMD B450.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3rd Gen, 3600 (3.60 GHz), 64 bit 6-Core 12-Thread Processor

Ferimer

Distinguished
First, i'm 5 days over warranty deadline so i cannot return anything unfortunately. I am entirely new to this as well, it was a prebought PC from Newegg. Everything was fine at first. I should have returned it but thought i could live with the problem (which was negligible -at the time-)

A month ago i bought this computer and it was working fine. Every now and then my PC would restart when playing certain games. I can't remember but i think RDR2 started the crashes, perhaps some lower level games as well. However in the last 3 days, I can't play ANYTHING above something like Runescape. RDR2 crashes in 2 min of gameplay. ATLAS (pirate ARK) in the same amount of time.

GPU had a bad "slot" in the mobo when it arrived due to careless UPS, these forced restarts made it so i couldn't even see my HDMI screen anymore. I put the GPU in a second slot and i no longer have an HDMI error, but now my computer just restarts every time i play an intensive game. It never actually turns off though. I'm assuming this is the PSU? Perhaps too much heat? This computer should handle these games nicely at 60fps so i don't understand the issue.

If i DO need a new PSU, what would be a good compatible one with my specs? Price isn't an issue as long as it's not outrageous. If it's the GPU dying though i'm going to be super pissed because that's arguably the most expensive hardware in my PC

Specs :

16 GB DDR4 memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8 GB GDDR6

PSU - 550W 80+ Bronze (after researching i think this MAY be the issue, a faulty PSU. Don't hold me to that though)

Case - Rosewill SPECTRA D100 ATX Mid Tower With Tempered Glass Case (4 x 120 mm RGB fans)

OS - Win10 64bit.

Mobo - AMD B450.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3rd Gen, 3600 (3.60 GHz), 64 bit 6-Core 12-Thread Processor
Sounds like honestly you have a lot of bad components and should have returned it immediately. NOw that you are over warranty good luck. But it could be anything at this point. Faulty GPU. Faulty MOBO. Faulty PSU. who knows. you got a lemon at this point it sounds like. Its not even a month old and you are having some serious issues it sounds like. WEre you monitoring temps at shut downs? were the fans properly installed by the person building it?

Aug 25, 2020
Sounds like honestly you have a lot of bad components and should have returned it immediately. NOw that you are over warranty good luck. But it could be anything at this point. Faulty GPU. Faulty MOBO. Faulty PSU. who knows. you got a lemon at this point it sounds like. Its not even a month old and you are having some serious issues it sounds like. WEre you monitoring temps at shut downs? were the fans properly installed by the person building it?
My CPU seems irrelevant and i don't even know how to test that, but my GPU only got to 63c before restarting and it's not even that hot of a temp.

I was gonna buy new stuff to be honest just because, i just didn't think i'd do it this soon :D PSU definitely sounds like something i need to replace as everyone else says this..MOBO apparently is trash because my GPU is being used in a x4 slot when I need a x16, whatever that is. According to some guy that's why i'm restarting..is that true or no?

Also, fans are working as intended. It has to be either the PSU or MOBO. GPU seems fine but i'm a complete noob at this stuff.

Ferimer

Distinguished
My CPU seems irrelevant and i don't even know how to test that, but my GPU only got to 63c before restarting and it's not even that hot of a temp.

I was gonna buy new stuff to be honest just because, i just didn't think i'd do it this soon :D PSU definitely sounds like something i need to replace as everyone else says this..MOBO apparently is trash because my GPU is being used in a x4 slot when I need a x16, whatever that is. According to some guy that's why i'm restarting..is that true or no?

Also, fans are working as intended. It has to be either the PSU or MOBO. GPU seems fine but i'm a complete noob at this stuff.
So there is PCIex16 and then there is PCIex4 for graphic cards, and sound cards, etc... These Lanes basically mean how much data and at what rate they can transmit from the mobo and the GPU. Basically you are running 4 lanes of data transfer instead of 16.. I couldn't see that being the root cause of shut downs though. You just are not getting the performance out of the card you need.

Aug 25, 2020
So there is PCIex16 and then there is PCIex4 for graphic cards, and sound cards, etc... These Lanes basically mean how much data and at what rate they can transmit from the mobo and the GPU. Basically you are running 4 lanes of data transfer instead of 16.. I couldn't see that being the root cause of shut downs though. You just are not getting the performance out of the card you need.
Should I just take it to a shop so they can diagnose it? If i'm only 2 days over the warranty (i double checked) is there no way at all they can cut some slack seeing as how it was their error to begin with? Not a typical blamer but yes it's equally my fault as well

Ferimer

Distinguished
Should I just take it to a shop so they can diagnose it? If i'm only 2 days over the warranty (i double checked) is there no way at all they can cut some slack seeing as how it was their error to begin with? Not a typical blamer but yes it's equally my fault as well
you could try and make the a claim about COVID-19 had you scared and what not and just reason with them about the problems from the start.