[SOLVED] Pc restarts when playing certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2020
I have been having an issue where my pc has been rebooting itself when playing games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Destiny 2. Sometimes it happens within the first 30 minutes or it could happen in 2 hours. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Both cpu and gpu temps are below 80c. I have stress tested the cpu and gpu and was unable to to get the problem to happen. It only happens during games. I also ran memtest86 on my ram and the results said that there were 0 errors.

I have also tried:

-Changing power plan settings and disabling some power saving settings

-Using DDU to reinstall my drivers

-Running OCCT

-Updating Bios

-Turning XMP off/on(2666/3000)

-Reseated RAM

-Underclocking GPU

-sfc /scannow command

-Checking the health of ssd and hdd

I suspect it's either a problem with the power supply, motherboard, or gpu. I get a kernel power 41 error in the event log when it reboots. I cannot say for certain what it is since I don't have any other parts laying around for me to swap them with. Nothing is overclocked.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
Stock Cooler
Xfx Thicc II Pro Rx 5600 XT
Gigabyte B450M DS3H WiFi
Crucial Ballistix 16 gb DDR4 2666 RAM
WD Blue 1TB HDD
512 gb XPG SSD
600W Gold Certified Power Supply

I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance!

Solution
The kernel power 41 error in the event log when it reboots is just saying it had an unexpected reboot,
it doesnt actually mean your PSU is causing the problem, 650 watt gold is fine for your system, so i wouldnt waste your money buying a new one.

The problem is most likley related to recent Windows 10 Updates as you are not the only one having this issue,
and a fresh install of windows doesnt fix the issue either.
This could be to do with your audio and /or gpu drivers. The Thicc cards are well known to run hot and around 80c is still plenty high for a real quality card never mind (and I do not wish to offend) a budget sub-par card like a Thicc, They are cheap for a reason. It could be it cant

Reinstall the audio driver, clean your registry with CCleaner and if all else fails a complete new install of Windows may be needed.

What make and model is your Gold rated PSU? also what case do you have and how is the airflow....

Oct 6, 2020
This could be to do with your audio and /or gpu drivers. The Thicc cards are well known to run hot and around 80c is still plenty high for a real quality card never mind (and I do not wish to offend) a budget sub-par card like a Thicc, They are cheap for a reason. It could be it cant

Reinstall the audio driver, clean your registry with CCleaner and if all else fails a complete new install of Windows may be needed.

What make and model is your Gold rated PSU? also what case do you have and how is the airflow....
Thanks for the reply. This pc is a prebuilt since I didn't know much about pc's back then. Here's the link for it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-xt-1tb-hdd-500gb-ssd/6400451.p?skuId=6400451

As for the PSU, its an Apevia ATX-PR600W

I will also try your suggestions.

Your PSU may well be the main culprit here, inconsistant power supply due to degradation of its capacitators, power rails etc. If you want to know what thw really knowledgable here think of Apevia PSUs just read the last comment in this thread....

Really poor unit and the sort you find in pre-builds because they are cheap, everyone looks first at CPU,the GPU, then RAM and so on but how many look at what is providing the power to it all. Very few but it is the fundamental building block of your system. The review is old but Apevia do not seem to have upped their game in the time since.

Now knowing what PSU you have I would be pretty sure it is a power regulation issue with the PSU causing other hardware to act up.

Oct 6, 2020
Your PSU may well be the main culprit here, inconsistant power supply due to degradation of its capacitators, power rails etc. If you want to know what thw really knowledgable here think of Apevia PSUs just read the last comment in this thread....

Really poor unit and the sort you find in pre-builds because they are cheap, everyone looks first at CPU,the GPU, then RAM and so on but how many look at what is providing the power to it all. Very few but it is the fundamental building block of your system. The review is old but Apevia do not seem to have upped their game in the time since.

Now knowing what PSU you have I would be pretty sure it is a power regulation issue with the PSU causing other hardware to act up.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for a 700w power supply. Do you suppose it could be the motherboard also?

Oct 6, 2020
I also think it might be the gpu itself. I read reviews online and they were mixed. Most said that it was fine and others said they experienced crashing and BSODs. I've played for around 4 hours with no crashes so maybe it was the audio drivers or the registry files (CCleaner said I had 500 issue with my registry and I don't know if that is a lot). I hope it was. I'm still getting a psu next week since the one I have now is not of good quality. I will let you know if I have the problem again without replacing the psu. Thanks again, you have been a great help!

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Ive read that focus assist is causing some systems to cause graphic card spikes ( windows issue , not gpu or driver ).
Hopefully microsoft will fix this crap soon.

Try turning off focus assist and also turning off the automatic rules,
windows - settings - focus assist.

Oct 6, 2020
Ive read that focus assist is causing some systems to cause graphic card spikes ( windows issue , not gpu or driver ).
Hopefully microsoft will fix this crap soon.

Try turning off focus assist and also turning off the automatic rules,
windows - settings - focus assist.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. I can play games that are not that demanding such as minecraft, valorant, and fortnite with no problem. But when I get into games like assassins creed and Call of Duty Modern Warfare, that's when the reboots happen. So I believe that Schlachtwolf is right to assume that it is the power supply. I just hope that it isn't the gpu. I have ordered a power supply and it will come in next week. I will post any updates that I can.

Reactions: wi5pa

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
The kernel power 41 error in the event log when it reboots is just saying it had an unexpected reboot,
it doesnt actually mean your PSU is causing the problem, 650 watt gold is fine for your system, so i wouldnt waste your money buying a new one.

The problem is most likley related to recent Windows 10 Updates as you are not the only one having this issue,
and a fresh install of windows doesnt fix the issue either.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.