May 1, 2021
Hello! I have this setup for about 4 years:
  • Intel i7 6700k
  • Asus Z170-A
  • Kingston HyperX FURY HX421C14FBK2/8, 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz, CL14
  • Asus GTX 970
  • SSD Kingston 480GB
  • CoolerMaster GX 550W
The PC started restarting while playing Dota 2.

Step 1 - Monitored the temps, temps ok - problem persisted
Step 2 - Fresh win 10 - 64 / last drivers - problem persisted
Step 3 - Clean PC - every vent and dust filter - problem persisted
Step 4 - Remove GPU - replace with Asus GT440 - problem solved (so it must be the Asus GTX 970)
Step 5 - Put the Asus GTX 970 with the same CoolerMaster GX 550W and the same SSD in another PC (Intel Celeron G550 / 4GB RAM / Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P) - no problem (so it's not the GTX 970)

I don't undestand, please help!

Solution
The PSU appears to be the most likely culprit; it wasn't particularly good quality when it was new, and since, IIRC, this one hasn't even been manufactured since 2014/2015 or so, it's also an old, mediocre PSU. I'd replace it even if the PC were running wonderfully so that it matches some symptoms, it's a definite place to start.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Make and model of the motherboard and the cooling on the processor?

Fresh win 10 - 64 / last drivers
Did you (re)fabricate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

May 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Make and model of the motherboard and the cooling on the processor?

Fresh win 10 - 64 / last drivers
Did you (re)fabricate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Thank you!

All components are aprox 4 y old.

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Yes, made a DVD using Windows Media Creation Tools.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PSU appears to be the most likely culprit; it wasn't particularly good quality when it was new, and since, IIRC, this one hasn't even been manufactured since 2014/2015 or so, it's also an old, mediocre PSU. I'd replace it even if the PC were running wonderfully so that it matches some symptoms, it's a definite place to start.

Reactions: ionut.spt
Solution
May 1, 2021
Thank you! The problem is that i have used the same PSU with the same GPU in the other PC and there were no problems...put them back in this one, rebots again in Dota 2...

May 1, 2021

And what PSU would you recomand for my setup?