[SOLVED] PC restarts whenever I save BIOS settings and does not enter the system

May 27, 2021
Friends, today my PC didn't turn on. I opened it and noticed a lot of dust on the cooler, the power supply and the motherboard. I immediately disassembled everything and did a general cleaning. I put thermal paste on the processor and tried to clean the internal cooler of the power source using a cotton swab just to remove the excess, since I didn't want to disassemble it and so I started the machine.

Initially the BIOS asked me to click on F1 to enter its settings. I thought this was normal, because sometimes when I remove the cable from the source of this PC to use in another one I always have here when I use it again it asks to enter the BIOS settings by F1 and in that, I just save it by clicking on F10. Only now when I do that instead of entering Windows it shuts down and restarts on the same F1 screen.

I thought there was something wrong and I redid the whole process of assembly, but then it didn't turn on anymore. I went to test the source and found that it had burned. Especially because I have had this PC for a long time and I had never changed the source and since it had a lot of dust inside it, I believe it burned because of it.

In that I took the source of the other PC and installed it, but before I took the opportunity to buy a new case for this PC since the original one was not in good condition because I have this machine since 2014. After everything was assembled I turned it on again and the problem continued. Starts asking for F1 and when entering the BIOS and saving using F10 it restarts.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? My card is an Asus P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 and the BIOS version is 0906

Datasheet:

- Core i5-3330 processor

- 8GB DDR3 RAM

- 128GB SSD (Windows only)

- 2TB HD (for storage only)

- Simple 500w power supply

In this screenshot of the BIOS notice that I updated the hours, but even so it keeps restarting when I click on F10. Is it the fault of the BIOS stack that has to be changed? Another detail is related to that red bar indicating that the voltage is close to a critical level or am I wrong? If you need more information I am available !!! I have a little knowledge in assembling and maintaining computers and this is the first time that this problem has happened to me.

In the second screen capture, it is the starting point that he returns to after turning off and restarting staying in this wireless loop. Detail, it will only restart if I click on F10 to try to save the settings.

PC home screen. As soon as I call, he asks to click on F1.

Once inside the BIOS, when I'm going to save the settings by clicking on F10, the machine turns off and on again starting all over again.

This is the PSU data sheet that I used on this PC before it burned due to excess dust.

And this is the technical sheet of an old PSU that I installed on my PC and that is probably to blame for the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Léo Walk and Welcome to the forum. :D

It could be a number of things however I suspect your CMOS battery or the PSU.
Swap out the CR2032 battery and test your PSU under load or swap it out with a known working unit of the same or higher wattage
Your screenies have not come thru? Use IMGUR to host the image files and obtain the bburl as a link to your files.

Not sure what you meant by the "source"

Reactions: Léo Walk
May 27, 2021

Swap out the CR2032 battery and test your PSU under load or swap it out with a known working unit of the same or higher wattage
Your screenies have not come thru? Use IMGUR to host the image files and obtain the bburl as a link to your files.

Thank you very much for the quick response. Today I will provide the CMOS battery and in relation to the word "source" that you did not understand, I was referring to the PSU.

If the problem is not with the CMOS battery I will provide a PSU too and if you get any positive results, I will come back here to inform you.

Here are the screenshots I took before entering the BIOS by clicking F1 and after entering the BIOS settings. Again I thank you for your attention.

Home screen as soon as I turn on the computer asking to click on F1

My BIOS splash screen

May 27, 2021
Your voltages are incorrect.
Replace the power supply.

Good evening! Thanks for the answer. I will do this, since the original power source of this PC has stopped working due to excessive dust.

In that, I switched to a used 500w power source that I have at home. The original power source for this PC was also 500w and I thought any power source with that voltage would do.

Tomorrow I will be off work and in that I will provide an adequate energy source for my machine. If you decide to come back here to show the result.

Good evening! Thanks for the answer. I will do this, since the original power source of this PC has stopped working due to excessive dust.

In that, I switched to a used 500w power source that I have at home. The original power source for this PC was also 500w and I thought any power source with that voltage would do.

Tomorrow I will be off work and in that I will provide an adequate energy source for my machine. If you decide to come back here to show the result.
Sounds good.
Here's the deal.
Those three voltages...+12,+5 and +3.3 need to be within 5% of those values at all times.
Your 3.3 and 12 are off by a lot.
I am a little surprised you even made it to the BIOS with those voltages.

Here's another thing.....that voltage display in that pic you sent is in the BIOS....so your PC isn't even under load and you are showing bad voltages.

If....when you get a new supply...you want to check the voltages with the machine in Windows.....you can download and run HWInfo.

This will generally show you those voltages in Windows (depending on the motherboard).....where you can load up the PC a bit and see how the voltages are if you want to.

HWInfo comes in handy if you get crashing in Windows and want to check the voltages.

May 27, 2021
I usually put my motherboard into washing machine, wool program, cold, no dryer

Good afternoon!!! I believe that it should not reach that point yet. First I will change the CMOS battery and then if it does not work I will buy a new power source since the original power source burned and I took another one from an old PC that I have at home and I think it is not generating the correct power that my machine needs.

May 27, 2021
Sounds good.
Here's the deal.
Those three voltages...+12,+5 and +3.3 need to be within 5% of those values at all times.
Your 3.3 and 12 are off by a lot.
I am a little surprised you even made it to the BIOS with those voltages.

Thank you very much friend for the great observations. I really noticed that red bar on the voltage guide and I found it strange there. It will take that to be right.

Especially because I changed the thermal folder of the processor when I built my PC yesterday, in addition to doing a deep cleaning on the cooler and other components of my machine.

Only the source of energy that was not enough to clean and in that, it burned out as soon as I tried to turn on the PC after maintenance. That's when I took an old source of energy that I have at home and replaced it with the old one.

Thank you very much friend for the great observations. I really noticed that red bar on the voltage guide and I found it strange there. It will take that to be right.

Especially because I changed the thermal folder of the processor when I built my PC yesterday, in addition to doing a deep cleaning on the cooler and other components of my machine.

Only the source of energy that was not enough to clean and in that, it burned out as soon as I tried to turn on the PC after maintenance. That's when I took an old source of energy that I have at home and replaced it with the old one.
You're welcome.

That feature....of displaying voltages in the BIOS....can be very handy...as you've seen.

There are many BIOSes out there....that don't do that....and it makes it harder to determine what's going on.

As a general rule with all PCs....the +12V, +5V and +3.3V need to remain within 5% of these values at all times.

This includes...if you were heavy gaming.

This is why HWInfo is nice....because you can run it while you are gaming.

May 27, 2021
You're welcome.

That feature....of displaying voltages in the BIOS....can be very handy...as you've seen.

There are many BIOSes out there....that don't do that....and it makes it harder to determine what's going on.

As a general rule with all PCs....the +12V, +5V and +3.3V need to remain within 5% of these values at all times.

What type of power source (PSU) do you recommend to be used on this machine with these settings that I went through?

May 27, 2021

Good afternoon!!! I'm coming back to Agrades for the good help. Really the problem was on the psu.

I was using a very old psu and that did not have the correct specifications of my pc. I also did the CR2032 battery change.

I took the purchases and got a new cabinet. My machine now won a new survival. With this I ask the administrator to close this post. Problem solved!!!

That was the psu I bought. She has 500W real. Much more than the PC needs.

These are the specifications of the new PSU.

As you can see the voltage guide is all balanced now.

My 2014 PC now does not even look like it's so old so after I changed the cabinet 😅

May 27, 2021
You're welcome.

Good afternoon!!! I'm coming back to show the result after you change the CR2032 battery and PSU. 😎

I enjoyed it was already in the Informatica store and bought a new cabinet for my machine. I liked it ... very simple and discreet the way I like it.

After I installed the new psu looks at the result

That was the psu I bought. The saleswoman informed me that she really has 500W real

Here is the PSU technical record

Your help was of extreme importance !!! I will be eternally grateful. Now how do I close this topic? Who does this is the administrator or me? 🤔

Good afternoon!!! I'm coming back to show the result after you change the CR2032 battery and PSU. 😎

Your help was of extreme importance !!! I will be eternally grateful. Now how do I close this topic? Who does this is the administrator or me? 🤔

So glad you have your system backup and running Léo Walk (y)(y)

There are various methods for thanking contributors and closing out your thread.
Go here to read your options: