Question Pc riddled with MemTest86 errors

Bruur

Commendable
Oct 29, 2019
Good day everyone,

I’m kinda stuck on what to do.
Lately I’ve been having common BSODs with varying stopcodes. From the top of my head these stopcodes were, but iirc not limited to:
Page fault in non paged area
Memory management
IRQL not less or equal

So after some Googling i found some websites that said it could be my memory, whichafter i decided to use memtest86 to see if i got any clarification.

To my horror, midtest these are the results so far:
https://i.postimg.cc/bdcNXFdZ/EB6-EE3-B8-43-D6-4-C9-C-AE9-A-156-AD370-EE3-C.jpg

I don’t know what could be wrong here. But I’ll give you a detailed list of my parts:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite b450
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair 3200mhz 16-18-18-32
Samsung Pro Evo 850 ssd
Corsair RM650x PSU

I hope someone can give me some insights, thanks in advance :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
if ram fails memtest, and you have proof of purchase on ram, return it for RMA and get new ram for free.

any error count higher than 0 is too many. 23 not so bad, I seen people with several thousand.

No way to fix, replace ram.

normally helps to test 1 stick at a time, but that is just to identify which stick it is, as it might not be both. It doesn't really matter if you have to return both to replace set.

Reactions: helper800
As an aside, if you happen to get a new set of RAM and have similar issues there is only 2 more possibilities: CPU, and Motherboard. As it stands right now the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the RAM being what is wrong. Replace the kit and memtest again to confirm the old set was bad and that the new set has no issues.

Reactions: Bruur

Bruur

Commendable
Oct 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick replies!

in the meantime I reseated the RAM from 1-3 to 2-4 and restarted the test. There are still loads of error codes but now the CPU numbers differ from the last test. The numbers are primarily 2, 5 and 7 now as far as I can see as it’s still running.

What could this mean and why does it even show errors on the CPU if it’s due to the ram? Sorry for all the questions I’m just genuinely curious.

in the meantime I’ll go shop for another set of RAM as my set is too old to be RMA’d.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

in the meantime I reseated the RAM from 1-3 to 2-4 and restarted the test. There are still loads of error codes but now the CPU numbers differ from the last test. The numbers are primarily 2, 5 and 7 now as far as I can see as it’s still running.

What could this mean and why does it even show errors on the CPU if it’s due to the ram? Sorry for all the questions I’m just genuinely curious.

in the meantime I’ll go shop for another set of RAM as my set is too old to be RMA’d.

Thanks for the help so far :)
Corsair, I believe, has a Lifetime warranty on the RAM so I would try to RMA it before you go shopping!

Good day everyone,

I’m kinda stuck on what to do.
Lately I’ve been having common BSODs with varying stopcodes. From the top of my head these stopcodes were, but iirc not limited to:
Page fault in non paged area
Memory management
IRQL not less or equal

So after some Googling i found some websites that said it could be my memory, whichafter i decided to use memtest86 to see if i got any clarification.

To my horror, midtest these are the results so far:
https://i.postimg.cc/bdcNXFdZ/EB6-EE3-B8-43-D6-4-C9-C-AE9-A-156-AD370-EE3-C.jpg

I don’t know what could be wrong here. But I’ll give you a detailed list of my parts:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite b450
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair 3200mhz 16-18-18-32
Samsung Pro Evo 850 ssd
Corsair RM650x PSU

I hope someone can give me some insights, thanks in advance :)
Proper bios?

Bruur

Commendable
Oct 29, 2019
It's not a good idea to play with the bios when having ram problems.

If you are using xmp turn it off and test.

If you still have ram problems try using just one stick of ram in the proper slot....test.

Yes you get the bios from the mobo site.
Alright I just turned off XMP and also checked my bios version which currently is F50. On Gigabyte’s website the latest version is F64b.
Is it recommended to update to the latest version and if so, can I go for the latest version in one go or do I have to install each update that comes in between my current and the latest.
Thanks for the support!

Alright I just turned off XMP and also checked my bios version which currently is F50. On Gigabyte’s website the latest version is F64b.
Is it recommended to update to the latest version and if so, can I go for the latest version in one go or do I have to install each update that comes in between my current and the latest.
Thanks for the support!
You need to read the notes for each bios version to see if there is a recco on the install order.

If no recco I would bump it up 2 or 3 levels and then do a little testing.
Your call.

Be aware that a ram fault while updating the bios could brick the mobo.

Now that xmp is off what does memtest show?

Bruur

Commendable
Oct 29, 2019
You need to read the notes for each bios version to see if there is a recco on the install order.

If no recco I would bump it up 2 or 3 levels and then do a little testing.
Your call.

Be aware that a ram fault while updating the bios could brick the mobo.

Now that xmp is off what does memtest show?
Alright, I did notice that they strongly recommended a specific version to their customers for compatability reasons, so maybe try that one at the least.

Also, the test is still running but hasn’t encountered any errors so far and it’s almost done with test 13 (hammer test).

So turning off xmp is possibly the solution?

Edit: to add to it, memtest still shows a speed of 3200mhz but doesn’t xmp enable the full speed of the ram? So shouldn’t it run at a base clock of 2133 instead of 3200 right now?
Also, pass 1 just finished with 0 encountered errors.

Alright, I did notice that they strongly recommended a specific version to their customers for compatability reasons, so maybe try that one at the least.

Also, the test is still running but hasn’t encountered any errors so far and it’s almost done with test 13 (hammer test).

So turning off xmp is possibly the solution?

Edit: to add to it, memtest still shows a speed of 3200mhz but doesn’t xmp enable the full speed of the ram? So shouldn’t it run at a base clock of 2133 instead of 3200 right now?
Also, pass 1 just finished with 0 encountered errors.
No idea what memtest shows with ram speed.
Turning off xmp should have lowered the speed.
You can look at the ram speed with task manager/perf/mem or use cpu-z.

Bruur

Commendable
Oct 29, 2019
No idea what memtest shows with ram speed.
Turning off xmp should have lowered the speed.
You can look at the ram speed with task manager/perf/mem or use cpu-z.
Alright. The test passed with 0 errors this time without xmp enabled, though.

Edit: I just checked in task manager and strangely it says it’s still running at 3200 mhz.