PC runs super SLOW after closing games

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Whenever I play a fullscreen game for a while, my desktop becomes incredibly choppy. When dragging any window, it basically looks like >30Hz.

I've reviewed some of the past issues that had similar titles, however all of the suggestions that were made I seem to already have. Such as updated drivers, not downloading any updates, turned off OC, thoroughly check task manager multiple times, use an SSD over an HDD, turned off Aero, restarted computer, I have great temps, very high specs, etc. I understand that I can go into the desktop properties and turn on performance mode, which of course converts Windows to the barebones appearance, but I don't want to have to take all of these shortcuts to make my desktop run smooth. I have an expensive build, so this shouldn't be a route to take.

Whenever I do restart my PC it does fix the issue, but only until I play another game. It's worth adding that my reboot times aren't affected by this. It seems to be fullscreen games only, since Oldschool RuneScape doesn't have any issues whatsoever. The degree of "choppiness" seems to be random, meaning that sometimes I can play for ~2 hours and it will be either mildly slow, very slow, or nearly perfect but never perfect. The games themselves aren't affected at all, even after opening a game when the desktop is choppy. Every now and then, it will go back to normal for about 10 seconds and then revert to sluggish after I drag a window to test it. A slight flickering can be seen when it's in the sluggish state.

Another point to make is that my ShadowPlay seems to be working only when I do a fresh restart of my PC. After closing a game from a fresh restart, the problem occurs and ShadowPlay will no longer respond to actions. It will allow me to go through the settings, but nothing will actually allow me to activate anything, and it will remain turned off without any response. During this state, GeForce sometimes takes ridiculously long to open, and almost never allows me to flip the green switch to allow the ShadowPlay overlay.

I suspect I either have a decaying OS from previous BSODs (if that's even possible), or my GPU is bugging out in some uncontrollable way via hardware or software. I'm on the fence about reformatting, which isn't a problem, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. If anyone can give me a rundown on some possible solutions or even a diagnosis, that would be very helpful.

My specs are:
Windows 7 64-bit SP1
i7-6700k 4.5ghz @ 1.38v
asrock z270 killer
g.skill tridentz 16gb 3200mhz
evga 1080ti ftw3
2x samsung 850 evo (1 for OS/main apps and 1 for storage)
2tb toshiba 7200rpm HDD
600gb samsung 7200 HDD
2x AOC 1080p 144hz monitors (1 with g-sync)

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
run msconfig -> services tab, check "hide all microsoft", uncheck everything -> startup tab, uncheck everything -> restart your pc.
test your pc, see if slowness occur. if so, go to task manager and find out whats hogging your resources.

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try now and give you an update.

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

So far, this seems to have done the trick. Although, I haven't pinpointed which process is causing the issue. It would take quite a while and it's late at the moment. I'll have to follow up on this tomorrow, but I appreciate the help. If anything happens, I'll be sure to reply in the this thread.

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

glad to hear that...

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Okay so apparently it is ShadowPlay causing the entire issue. I have been playing for about 3 days now without any issues while on barebones services. When I chose to turn on the nVidia services to allow ShadowPlay to run, I tried recording a clip and suddenly my desktop was back to sluggish, as well as everything else. Typing, window dragging, and video playback are all affected by this. Oddly enough, the game doesn't seem to have any issues at all.

I've updated my drivers pretty much every time one is released, and it's up to date right now. I would rather not reinstall my GPU drivers/GeForce Experience but it's not something I'm refusing to do. I hope there's another way around this. I don't see why this would be happening, considering that everyone else I've seen with ShadowPlay issues has game lag, when I don't.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I would but generally fraps is worse than ShadowPlay in terms of performance and quality.

I'm sure it would work, if that's what you're asking, but it seems to be an overlay issue. Unfortunately, ShadowPlay isn't accessible unless you're using the overlay.

I may have to take this up with nVidia directly or something. Thanks for your help though!

greggreggreg1

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

You skimmed my post I see, because I mentioned that I checked it multiple times.

TRENDING THREADS