[SOLVED] PC Seems To Be Underperforming Doom Eternal

Rhetorical Zombie

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hello,

I have been playing Doom Eternal and seem to be averaging around 68FPS at high settings, 1080P with water and shadow quality turned down to medium. My PC exceeds the minimum system requirements, and I have seen game performance videos with same or similar CPU and GPU setup running at Ultra-Nightmare at over 100FPS, 1080P with minimal drops. If I play on Ultra-Nightmare settings I can barely keep above 60 FPS so that is why I have turned the graphics down. When running the in-game performance metrics, which to be honest I'm completely clueless as to what the values mean, I see that the CPU values, min, max, and avg, keep jumping up to yellow and red levels, while the GPU seems to be holding steady in the green. Is it possible that my CPU is being stressed? I've monitored the CPU temp and it's okay, around 50 degrees, and I've eliminated unnecessary background processes while I'm playing. Other games I play such as Apex and Borderlands 3 I get pretty close to the expected graphics quality within 10fps. Not sure what's going on here as the gap in actual quality vs expected quality is very large > 30fps. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am running the latest AMD drivers by the way. Not sure if this is relevant but I ran a user benchmark and CPU is performing at 79th percentile and GPU is performing at 58 percentile.

System:
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
AMD RX 580 8GB Gigabyte
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
WD Blue 1TB (2012)
Corsair CX750

Last edited:
Solution
Given what I've read about how it's performance compares to that of Doom 2016, I'm not sure what you're experiencing on that spec is not normal. Keep in mind though when comparing to what others say or show, you have to know the whole scenario. Even having the Steam (or possibly Nvidia) overlays on, can rob performance. I've read reports of some saying just turning off the Steam overlay alone resulted in a jump from 40 FPS to 60 FPS. It's also said that it matters what you use for Vsync, and that turning it off entirely if you can do so without screen tear might be best.

Like I said though, your spec doesn't really scream max settings for today's intense graphics games.
Given what I've read about how it's performance compares to that of Doom 2016, I'm not sure what you're experiencing on that spec is not normal. Keep in mind though when comparing to what others say or show, you have to know the whole scenario. Even having the Steam (or possibly Nvidia) overlays on, can rob performance. I've read reports of some saying just turning off the Steam overlay alone resulted in a jump from 40 FPS to 60 FPS. It's also said that it matters what you use for Vsync, and that turning it off entirely if you can do so without screen tear might be best.

Like I said though, your spec doesn't really scream max settings for today's intense graphics games.

Reactions: Rhetorical Zombie
Solution

Rhetorical Zombie

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Disabling the Steam overlay fixed my issue. Thanks!

Disabling the Steam overlay fixed my issue. Thanks!
Yeah it must have some kind of extra strange problem with the Steam overlay. I know certain games do, but you don't usually see a jump from 40 to 60 FPS just by disabling it.

I just got the game and played it a fair bit last night. It defaulted everything to High at 1080p on my 8700k, 1080 spec. I just jumped in and started playing, but a few hours later when I disabled Vsync and checked FPS, it was well over 300. So I eventually settled on 1440p and Ultra Nightmare on everything, and I'm still averaging over 100 FPS (haven't checked it in big battles though).

It's amazing what Vulkan did for this game. It not only allowed for much more efficient production, allowing a small team to do what normally takes a huge one to do, it allows large maps with more graphics detail, yet better performance. And that's all without using megatextures. If you notice, Doom 2016 had issues with textures slowly becoming more detailed as you approach them, and even weapons after equipping them.

The only reason I didn't try 4K DSR is the res options for DSR for some reason don't go that high. It may likely be a limitation of my 8GB VRAM though. They say you need a 2080 Ti to run it on 4K with Ultra Nightmare settings.

Last edited:

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
I've been benchmarking Doom Eternal all weekend, and a 1600X and RX580 will do just fine with 1080p at Ultra settings.
1% low - 69.3
Avg - 102
Max - 150.4
playing through Hell on Earth mission for 7 minutes (7 minutes in hell run :) )

If anyone on the Tom's forum has been playing it on an older Nvidia GPU like 1070, 1080, I'd like to know if you're getting any crashing with the new 442.74 driver? I got up to near the end of the Super Gore Nest level with no crashes, but now it often crashes when loading checkpoints or sometimes just using mouse to select weapons in the Arsenal tab.

For now I've rolled back to 442.59 to see if that fixes things.

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
If anyone on the Tom's forum has been playing it on an older Nvidia GPU like 1070, 1080, I'd like to know if you're getting any crashing with the new 442.74 driver? I got up to near the end of the Super Gore Nest level with no crashes, but now it often crashes when loading checkpoints or sometimes just using mouse to select weapons in the Arsenal tab.

For now I've rolled back to 442.59 to see if that fixes things.
want me to try it out? I've got a 1080 lying around here somewhere.