Question PC Shipping Help

Jul 4, 2024
I'm heading to the Netherlands for my studies and I really want to take my PC with me. I've read that it's possible to ship the whole PC on other forums but, there might be shipping restrictions in my country, so if I can't ship the whole PC, I need to figure out how to carry the motherboard and all its components with me. Which components should I remove from the motherboard and pack separately in my carry-on? And what packing materials should I use to guarantee its safety during the trip? Also, if you have any cases and PSU brands/models you'd recommend that are readily available in Europe (Netherlands) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvCFVW

USAFRet

Titan
I'm heading to the Netherlands for my studies and I really want to take my PC with me. I've read that it's possible to ship the whole PC on other forums but, there might be shipping restrictions in my country, so if I can't ship the whole PC, I need to figure out how to carry the motherboard and all its components with me. Which components should I remove from the motherboard and pack separately in my carry-on? And what packing materials should I use to guarantee its safety during the trip? Also, if you have any cases and PSU brands/models you'd recommend that are readily available in Europe (Netherlands) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvCFVW
What "shipping restrictions" have you read about?

PC's get shipped to the Netherlands every day.

Jul 4, 2024
What "shipping restrictions" have you read about?

PC's get shipped to the Netherlands every day.
My home country's restrictions, not Netherlands. I asked around and a few were not inclined to ship entire PCs from Iran to any country.
- Also potentially cheaper to bring mobo with me and buy case/PSU in the Netherlands

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
My home country's restrictions, not Netherlands. I asked around and a few were not inclined to ship entire PCs from Iran to any country.
ahhhhh....

If breaking it down, remove the GPU, and spinning hard drives.
If the CPU cooler you have is anything but a small stock one, that too.
Pack all that individually individually.

Well padded, sturdy cardboard boxes for each individual thing. Motherboard, GPU, drives.

Jul 4, 2024
ahhhhh....

If breaking it down, remove the GPU, and spinning hard drives.
If the CPU cooler you have is anything but a small stock one, that too.
Pack all that individually individually.

Well padded, sturdy cardboard boxes for each individual thing. Motherboard, GPU, drives.
I have a stock AMD cooler. Would I need to remove that? Also, I'll probably be bringing the components with me in my carry-on baggage, preferably in a backpack so I can guarantee its safety. So, is the cardboard essential or can I get away with padding/packing material on the individual components? I still have my motherboard's package so I might use that for it alongside padding.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a stock AMD cooler. Would I need to remove that? Also, I'll probably be bringing the components with me in my carry-on baggage, preferably in a backpack so I can guarantee its safety. So, is the cardboard essential or can I get away with padding/packing material on the individual components? I still have my motherboard's package so I might use that for it alongside padding.
Individual boxes for all of that will likely end up too large for you carry on.

I'd think about a commercial shipping service. DHL, for instance. Components like this are shipped all over the planet, every day.

Are you really sure you want to export a PC that you will not be allowed to reimport back home due to EU export restrictions?

Better to buy another PC in the Netherlands, and sell it when you are leaving. If you need the money to do so, see how much your system is worth right now at home. It may be more than you think, and more than it would be worth in the Netherlands.

USAFRet

Titan
Are you really sure you want to export a PC that you will not be allowed to reimport back home due to EU export restrictions?

Better to buy another PC in the Netherlands, and sell it when you are leaving. If you need the money to do so, see how much your system is worth right now at home. It may be more than you think, and more than it would be worth in the Netherlands.
That was going to be my next suggestion.

Jul 4, 2024

I will most likely be staying and working there after my studies, so I'm looking at long-term goals; for that, it shouldn't be an issue. Regarding selling my PC here to buy components in the Netherlands, it's almost always going to be worse because of conversion rates (1 euro =~ 61k-63k Iranian Tomans). To put it simply, even if I were to sell the PC at a decent price despite it being 2nd hand on an e-bay equivalent site, converting the money to euros would leave me with less money to then buy similar specs in the Netherlands. ( There is also a margin of profit in the exchange/Bourse market)