[SOLVED] pc showing only 1 ram

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

my brother in laws pc is only showing 8gb memory when there is 16gb ram in it.

the specs

ntel 3570K 4 Core 4 thread processor with large Zalman CPU cooler for cool running.

ASROCK Z77 Pro M motherboard. Box and manual included.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

PNY SSD 128GB

the ram isnt next to each other if that makes a difference.

many thanks

Solution
Both the same stick of RAM and both being purchased together in a kit are two different things. Were they both purchased together in a kit?
Also, on many boards the sticks go in the 2nd and 4th memory slots, from the CPU.
Are both sticks of RAM from the same dual-channel kit? If not they may not work well, or at all together.
Reference the motherboard manual to make sure you have the sticks in the correct slots.

It would be best to purchase a 16GB (2x8GB) kit, compatible with your motherboard, and install that.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Are both sticks of RAM from the same dual-channel kit? If not they may not work well, or at all together.
Reference the motherboard manual to make sure you have the sticks in the correct slots.

It would be best to purchase a 16GB (2x8GB) kit, compatible with your motherboard, and install that.
hi

yes, they are both the same. i will look at the motherboard manual to see if the ram should be together.

right now the ram is on first slot and third slot.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Both the same stick of RAM and both being purchased together in a kit are two different things. Were they both purchased together in a kit?
Also, on many boards the sticks go in the 2nd and 4th memory slots, from the CPU.
im not too sure, will have to ask the seller.

i didnt know about that configuration, i thougt they were meant to go side by side. learn different thing everyday.