Question PC shows American Megatrends screen before booting into Windows 10 ?

Mar 19, 2023
After upgrading to a new graphics card (AMD 6750 xt from Nvidia 1060) I uninstalled all graphics drivers before installing the AMD drivers. Afterwards, i wanted to enable ReBAR in bios and enable XMP for my ram. The problem is, i my PC no longer shows the BIOS flash screen, it loads an American Megatrends screen with no errors, then before i can do anything, it boots into windows. If i clear CMOS i can get it to load the BIOS screen, load optimised defaults, save and exit, but then it just boots the same way. Ive tried updating BIOS to the newest version, and performing a clean windows install. Neither of which solved the problem. If im fast enough to hit DEL on the AM screen, it says "loading..." then boots to windows anyway. Has anyone even seen this issue before?

Gigabyte 390 ud MB
Intel I5 9600k
AMD 6750 XT ROG Strix
16GB Gskill DDR4 4000Mhz
Samsung 970 NVmE 500GB boot drive

Screen shows
Version 2.20.1271. Copyright (C) 2021 American Megatrends, Inc
BIOS Date: 11/05/2021 18:29:08 Ver 1AUOK9040
Press <DEL> to enter setup.

Last edited:
After upgrading to a new graphics card (AMD 6750 xt from Nvidia 1060) I uninstalled all graphics drivers before installing the AMD drivers. Afterwards, i wanted to enable Smart access memory in bios and enable XMP for my ram. The problem is, i my PC no longer shows the BIOS flash screen, it loads an American Megatrends screen with no errors, then before i can do anything, it boots into windows. If i clear CMOS i can get it to load the BIOS screen, load optimised defaults, save and exit, but then it just boots the same way. Ive tried updating BIOS to the newest version, and performing a clean windows install. Neither of which solved the problem. If im fast enough to hit DEL on the AM screen, it says "loading..." then boots to windows anyway. Has anyone even seen this issue before?

Gigabyte 390 ud MB
Intel I5 9600k
AMD 6750 XT ROG Strix
16GB Gskill DDR4 4000Mhz
Samsung 970 NVmE 500GB boot drive

Screen shows
Version 2.20.1271. Copyright (C) 2021 American Megatrends, Inc
BIOS Date: 11/85/2021 18:29:08 Ver 1AUOK9040
Press <DEL> to enter setup.
Spam delete before you even push the power button and continue as the system starts to boot

You might have a fast boot feature enabled on your UEFI settings (although this should've defaulted to off). This is separate from Windows' fast boot.

In any case, if you want to get into your UEFI settings, you can do it through Windows:
  • Go to Settings -> (Windows 10) Update and Recovery / (Windows 11) System -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup
  • Let it reboot the computer, it'll go to another screen
  • Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI firmware settings
  • Let the computer reboot and it'll go into the settings.

Mar 19, 2023
You might have a fast boot feature enabled on your UEFI settings (although this should've defaulted to off). This is separate from Windows' fast boot.

In any case, if you want to get into your UEFI settings, you can do it through Windows:
  • Go to Settings -> (Windows 10) Update and Recovery / (Windows 11) System -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup
  • Let it reboot the computer, it'll go to another screen
  • Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI firmware settings
  • Let the computer reboot and it'll go into the settings.
No dice for me, it just boots the same way, however i did check and that setting is turned off, As well as windows fast boot.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Mar 19, 2023
Update, Ive removed the Graphics card, and updated Intel Graphics drivers for the CPU, Now the system boots fine without the card, but as soon as i install the card back in it goes right back to the A.M. screen.

Seeing if i can find another Card to test if its the board or the card causing this.

I have set no timers
Update, Ive removed the Graphics card, and updated Intel Graphics drivers for the CPU, Now the system boots fine without the card, but as soon as i install the card back in it goes right back to the A.M. screen.

Seeing if i can find another Card to test if its the board or the card causing this.
This sounds more like a mobo issue, is the bios up to date?

It is. and ive checked the PCIe firmware as well, both have the newest updates.
Yeah so sound like your best bet to get to bios at this point is remove any none essential items from the mobo, unplug all the satas you have connected, any m.2 drives on the mobo... Go down to single channel ram with only a single ram stick. And boot system if no bios the mobo is the issue and something for some reason is locking out the bios

Mar 19, 2023
If it fails with no drives, what does it do with just one RAM stick? How about with no RAM sticks?
So far the only thing thats gotten it to not fail to the A.M. screen before booting is removing the graphics card and using the onboard. Im working on getting an old GPU to see if it might be the Graphics card, as thats what started this whole thing off.

g-unit1111

Titan
So far the only thing thats gotten it to not fail to the A.M. screen before booting is removing the graphics card and using the onboard. Im working on getting an old GPU to see if it might be the Graphics card, as thats what started this whole thing off.

Did you install the NVIDIA control panel? Sometimes when you install a new GPU you won't get the full features back until you do a full install / reinstall of the NVIDIA drivers. I ran into this problem when I got my 3060TI and that seemed to clear it up. And it will take a couple of restarts after you do install the drivers.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Mar 19, 2023
Did you install the NVIDIA control panel? Sometimes when you install a new GPU you won't get the full features back until you do a full install / reinstall of the NVIDIA drivers. I ran into this problem when I got my 3060TI and that seemed to clear it up. And it will take a couple of restarts after you do install the drivers.
No, it is an AMD card, However Adrenalin is up to date.

It's not possible in my case, the PSU gets in the way.
Is your power supply equipped with more connectors you can use to the external GPU power? I'm curious if using different power supply slots (e.g., different cable and plugin to the power supply for a modular power supply, or else separate wires if not modular) change things. It isn't unusual for small power issues to completely fail a GPU. I'd be surprised if this stopped POST, but it might (especially if your monitor cable is plugged into the external GPU).