[SOLVED] Pc shut down and has weird smell won’t boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 19, 2019
I was playing a game when my screen suddenly turned white and I couldn’t exit or anything so I shut down the pc I turned it on again when I started playing the white screen happens again so I shut it down and booted it up again and started reinstalling nvidia drivers cause I though that was what was causing the white screen hen it shut down while installing them and it had a weird smell which is coming from the cpu and gpu but not the psu and it won’t boot up anymore the power button did flicker red for a second but that was it please help

Solution
7700k not overclocked(~90w) + GTX 1060(120w) + 50w(headroom for everything else = 260w
Looks good if you just look at it like that... but you had a psu that wasn't designed to deal with gaming loads.
Office PCs are steady, and much more constant.
Gaming oriented PCs are constantly fluctuating, with many a sudden spike in load, which just any cheap unit will be unable to deal with.

Toss the gpu in the trash, it's roasted, and toss that psu in there along with it, unless you want to risk incinerating anything else... assuming nothing else is damaged.

Avoid cheap power supplies!
Sep 19, 2019
GPU is definitely dead and should not be powered on in its current state. There is a chance for repair, but unlikely. Baking it won't help.

Are you ever going to say what the PSU is? It is almost always a PSU issue in these cases.

Do you have any liquid coolers in this system? Are they leaking?
No but a I did spill a litttle it of water in my pc the night before

Sep 19, 2019
I had that exact model. Served me well... but I didn't keep track of when the protection(indicated by an LED) expired... so one time by chance, I happen to notice the LED was out a couple months ago.
I had it for 4 years, but it probably didn't last quite that long(my fault for not keeping track). I've since replaced it with a UPS.

It's a good unit, but the argument about not having a dedicated ground still stands. Any surge protector loses effectiveness when the residence itself isn't properly protected.
What's a 3840 Joule SP in a groundless residence going to do against a 'bad luck' lightning strike at 1 - 10billion Joules? Jack all, that's what.
Of course, the surge after an actual blackout won't be nearly this high, but the SP won't last as long when it has do deal with the brunt of those power surges.
And many models have no way to tell when they've 'expired'... so how many people keep them past their expiration?

[Went off-topic there.]
A good SP will not fix a bad psu - assuming that's what the OP had.
I would like to see what the make and model was if they do reply back.
You think it’s because I spilled some water in the night before?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are software. They cause things like freezing/crashes, etc. They don't literally set your hardware on fire - no, that's a hardware thing.

I would still like to know the make and model of the power supply.

No but a I did spill a litttle it of water in my pc the night before
You did take the PC apart and made sure to clean the water off? Used alcohol to help the afflicted part(s) dry faster?
You made sure the PC was dry before trying to turn it back on, right?

Sep 19, 2019
Drivers are software. They cause things like freezing/crashes, etc. They don't literally set your hardware on fire - no, that's a hardware thing.

I would still like to know the make and model of the power supply.

You did take the PC apart and made sure to clean the water off? Used alcohol to help the afflicted part(s) dry faster?
You made sure the PC was dry before trying to turn it back on, right?
No it didn’t turn off so I just kept playing but most I don’t think that much or any spilled on the gpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aaaaand it's a piece of junk, not built for handling gaming oriented PC loads. A box posing as a 500w psu, but was actually a 372w on the +12v rail - and that's not taking into account the age of the unit and quality of the interior components.
It was only a matter of time before a fire hazard started.

Now, as for the spilled liquid: if you spilled the night before, something should've happened the morning of the next day - or as soon as you powered it on again. So I'll just consider the timing of the spill a coincidence.

What was the cpu you had paired with the GTX 1060?

Sep 19, 2019
Aaaaand it's a piece of junk, not built for handling gaming oriented PC loads. A box posing as a 500w psu, but was actually a 372w on the +12v rail - and that's not taking into account the age of the unit and quality of the interior components.
It was only a matter of time before a fire hazard started.

Now, as for the spilled liquid: if you spilled the night before, something should've happened the morning of the next day - or as soon as you powered it on again. So I'll just consider the timing of the spill a coincidence.

What was the cpu you had paired with the GTX 1060?
I Had a i7 7700k

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
7700k not overclocked(~90w) + GTX 1060(120w) + 50w(headroom for everything else = 260w
Looks good if you just look at it like that... but you had a psu that wasn't designed to deal with gaming loads.
Office PCs are steady, and much more constant.
Gaming oriented PCs are constantly fluctuating, with many a sudden spike in load, which just any cheap unit will be unable to deal with.

Toss the gpu in the trash, it's roasted, and toss that psu in there along with it, unless you want to risk incinerating anything else... assuming nothing else is damaged.

Avoid cheap power supplies!

Last edited:
Solution