Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
Hi ,
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060
RAM: CORSAIR 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: msi b450m pro-vdh max
PSU: TS XFX 650W 80 Plus Gold

I got a really strange problem. Earlier today my PC just shut down without a reason, monitors had turned off I could hear sound in the speakers like I would turn off my pc, but the motherboard did not turn off, I could see fans spinning and LEDs are on and also motherboard CPU led was on . At that moment I couldn't completely turn off my PC, tried holding power button forever, pushed restart, nothing worked. I had to use the ON / OFF switch on my PSU. After a moment, I turned it back on and was able to turn my PC on. That has happened few times today, when PC was not used, just on, when watching YT, etc. then I used benchmark to overload PC and it happened again. I had to go out, when I came back after few hours I am trying to overload my PC with benchmark, games etc. and it is working completely fine. Anyone has any Ideas what could it be ? CPU, RAM and motherboard were changed about 2 year ago, case and GPU last summer and I added M.2 drive about 2 months ago. Only PSU is very old, I would say more than 6 years that why I ordered some new PSU just in case but if anyone had something similar or have any clew how can I do some checks, please advise :) I think problem might be in PSU or MOBO but looking for advice. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023
From the sound of it, it's the PSU, maybe those power outages rushed it to its death. If it's not the PSU it could be the graphic driver, in case you updated it recently ("clean install" is not as clean as you would expect, and as time goes by older files could clash with the new ones). In that case wipe the driver clean with DDU in safe mode and then install the latest one. I'd wait for the PSU first, tho. And just a warning, i'm not an expert, i'm just experienced in having all sorts of problems and then somehow fixing them :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dawid11987

dawid11987

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
From the sound of it, it's the PSU, maybe those power outages rushed it to its death. If it's not the PSU it could be the graphic driver, in case you updated it recently ("clean install" is not as clean as you would expect, and as time goes by older files could clash with the new ones). In that case wipe the driver clean with DDU in safe mode and then install the latest one. I'd wait for the PSU first, tho. And just a warning, i'm not an expert, i'm just experienced in having all sorts of problems and then somehow fixing them :ROFLMAO:
hah yeah I am same, but couldnt find similar posts anywere , got all drivers up to date etc. so I think it should not be a problem as I did not update or change anything in the last few days . I am just supprised as PC works fine for now , so that make me believe that PSU is dying. thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS