Question PC Shut Down mid-game and fails to power on

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
I've been having strange issues with my PC lately which started when my case fans connected to a fan hub would all shut off when playing a game. I suspected that the hub itself was dying, so I plugged some of the fans directly into my motherboard to have some cooling and still be able to game. The day after, I was In the middle of a game and my case fans shut off but the fans I plugged into the motherboard still worked. About 10-15min later my whole PC shut-off and now will still not turn on (thermals were normal before shut-down). I've tried jumping the motherboard and I don't think it's the power supply because when I flip the power switch, I see a momentary LED flash on my motherboard indicating that it's getting power. Could this be a motherboard issue that I'll have to RMA?

Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 3800x
  • Mobo: Aorus x570 Elite wifi
  • RAM: 16GB 3600mhz G skill
  • GPU: EVGA 2080 super XC
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd be more inclined to think the psu. The only way to be certain is swap the psu out, for anything that works and has more than @ 250w. Just don't run any games if it works.

You assume thermals based on temp readings, but the psu has no such reading. If airflow is blocked off by dust or the fan has failed, overheat is a possibility you wouldn't see coming. Also visually check all connectors, pins, wires etc, make sure none are damaged or burnt or melted.