Aug 15, 2012
I was playing battlefield 3 when I died and my PC just shut off. I think it might have been because the new GTX 650 Ti draws 5 more TDP then my old 8800GT causing to much power to be drawn from the 400W PSU. Can someone explain to me what happens if a PSU cant support the required power for the hardware? Or could this just be a overheating problem out of the blue?

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Can you tell me your PC Specs, Current Temps when on Idle, Temps Under Load when playing games ?

It not necessarily PSU wattage but you can never rule that out. Lets start from Temperatures and track it from there

Aug 15, 2012

Set the power plan to Balanced and took a can of air to the CPU. As soon as that air hit, I couldn't breath. Runs better then before, quieter, problem solved. Amazing what compressed air can do. Second time its saved this PC. (First time was a clump of dust clogging the PSU fan.)

if it was a decent quality psu then a shut off at over powering is a good thing. its probably saved your system from damage...
all you can do is wait 10 mins with the power turned off at the wall. then try to reboot. make sure you remove the power from at least 2 fans and or a hdd if you have 1 spare in your system. it will either restart or just do nothing.... if it does nothing then its likely the psu has died as some dont reset 1s the over voltage protection is tripped.
5tdp just means thermal designed power. it doesnt mean it requires more or less votage...
the 88gt has a minimum recomended psu requirment of 450 watts. a maximum draw of upto 188watts.
the 560ti on the other hand has a max draw of less than 160watts.
the chances are your psu was on its way out anyway b4 you plugged the new card it. as a typical 400w psu will deliver about 320 watts constant and about 360 peak. if you take that and remove the 88gts power requirment then your left with less than 180w to run a cpu motherboard memory hdd,dvd and the fans. as you can see you were likely drawing peek power which would seriously shorten the life of your psu. when benchmarked the 88gt system drew between 209 and 280w but they were minimized builds with just enough to operate a cpu, cpu fan, hdd, mem,motherboard and 1 hdd.
the higher wattage numbers were on oc'd systems where the cpu and motherboard required more power for what was at the time an average 300-600mhz oc.

you need a minimum of 550w to be safe with a low/mid level ps today. so aim for that when you replace your current psu... also hope the psu did its job when it failed and protected your system.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Play in a cooler climate. Attach more cooling fans to the PC. My 4+ year old laptop has started overheating; I fix that by attaching a laptop cooling fan and running the AC or fan in the room when I'm doing intensive tasks that tend to cause it to release more heat.

Aug 15, 2012

Thanks for the detailed response. My system is still perfectly fine and this isn't the first over heating problem. I believe the PSU is fine for now but what I would like to know is if it is possible to have 4 fans running on this motherboard mcp61pm-gm. I think heat buildup is causing the CPU to slow down because during Battlefield 3, I can (surprisingly) run it on High settings with stable frame rates for about 30 minutes until heat begins to build up. After the heats built up, its completely unplayable even on low settings. Maybe if I got better airflow through the case it wouldn't have such a performance drop? Or does heat have absolutely nothing to do with performance?

Serthy

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Yeea my PC did that but didn't turn back on i don't have a clue what could have made it do that, my setup is my comment below and i am running a corair 850w tx v2 as my power supply, the only thing i can think of is my intake from the bottom of the case was blocked somehow.

I am told my pc can run with a load and i don't OC my setup but how can i prevent it from having this happen again