Question Pc shutdown and restart

Dec 23, 2018
Hello there.
I've ran into a problem recently. I got back from work one day and started using my pc until one point it shut down and restarted. What it does is it loses power and then powers back on on its own. It takes about 1 - 2 seconds before it powers back on again. This happens 5 to 10 minutes after loading windows consistently.
I ran bios earlier for about 15 to 20 minutes and the pc did not shut.

What I checked:
  • tried both memory sticks
  • tried taking the power button off the mobo
  • fresh install Windows (when I opened the pc, it shut down then wouldn't turn on. I had to take the cable off and on the psu in order for it to work)
  • checked temps

I have to mention here that I got the pc about a year ago second hand and I used it for gaming. Not extremely heavy but gaming nonetheless and for quite long times. Also, I usually don't turn the pc off at nights, I leave it on sleep mode. I suspect the psu which is a 1000w zalman and i think it's quite old but I am not 100 percent sure.
I took the pc to a guy yesterday and told him to check the psu as well. He kept insisting that if it was psu fault it wouldn't power up and if it was powering down, it would not power up again on its own. He said the problem is either cpu or mobo but he didn't run any tests on the psu neither did he try to run the pc with a different one. Only thing he did is run the pc without the gpu which consumes mosh of the power and the problem still existed.
As I have eliminated the software problem with the fresh installation, it must be a hardware issue. How probable is it that the psu has failed and if not, what else could be causing the issue?

Thank you in advance

Dec 23, 2018
Thank you for the answer. Failing PSU is my most preferred problem because mobo and CPU goes way off price (It's a 4th generation i7).
That is what I thought as well. But the guy wouldnt test it for some reason. Hence why I took it back.
Any theory on why it would not shutdown on BIOS (At least for the 15-20 minutes I had it on)?