Pc Shutdown Issue

FavouriteBroom

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Hello it is me again. I was hoping for help on an issue that has been on and off for my PC. It enjoys dieing in the middle of a game. The screen cuts out saying "Monitor going to sleep" And restarts, it use to do this in the past from dust build up and a hard drive issue that was repaired. The hard drive issue is gone being that the computer turned off during any task after 5 - 30 minutes of use. Now it merely does this during games. For instance playing StarCraft 2 it will die after 10 minutes of in game play. older games it takes longer, and games that are CD based and use very small amounts of graphics do not at all such as Warcraft III. We would fix this issue by dusting out the computer which worked. It would be fine for a few months, and just need to be dusted again. But now it has decided to get better. Now the many PC games I have spent money on are useless. And I get the feeling my PC will shut down just from browsing, as it begins a loud hum like it would during a game, which I have figured out is all 4 fans turning on. But during browsing it would not do this in the past.

Solution
That power supply looks good for your needs. Given that the one you have is at least 5 years old I'm more convinced it has issues. They tend to give up the ghost and act flaky around that time.

FavouriteBroom

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Where exactly is the PSU I know where the power supply is but it is in a spot where the mother board obstructs you from unscrewing the cover screws. And even then what exactly do I want done? I have a wide array of fine small brushes to dust things out and just want to make sure that if I am going to go through with this it will work. I did get the cover off the power supply before and could see the fan laced in dust but I cleared that, so I assume there is more dust needing to be removed but from a more important spot.

Also figured out what the PSU is.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't think dusting it will fix it anymore, I'm thinking it's toast. Unfortunately the only reliable way to test this is to swap it with a new one.

I would also use compressed air to clean it out. You don't mention how you cleaned it but compressed air will blow out tons of dust a brush will miss.

FavouriteBroom

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Ok so my stickers are gone, but I found out because we have the store bought HP Pavillion p6334f and the power supply is the same one from 7-5 years ago. So it runs a 300 Watt supply, what models will integrate with my PC and should I get 400 Watt's so it will last longer. Here is a link to the PC'S Specs these are the same as ours seeing how I never needed to change anything.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Also checked the exact same PC types

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
That power supply looks good for your needs. Given that the one you have is at least 5 years old I'm more convinced it has issues. They tend to give up the ghost and act flaky around that time.

Solution