Question PC shuts down after 10-20 minutes of idling

Jun 20, 2019
I went on a trip for about 3 weeks and when i came back my PC wouldn't work, i turn it on and 10 to 20 minutes later it just shuts down, no blue screen, no reboot, just shuts down, i've checked temperatures and made a ocular inspection and everything seems fine, i removed my GPU and my Hard drive to discard issues with that, i should cheeck voltage next but i'm mot sure the software i'm using would catch and get in a log if there's a really bad negative voltage spike since the PC shuts down, also the PSU fan output doesn't work but the fan on itself does work, i don't have spair parts to try stuff and i'm on a tight budget, what should i do?
PC:
CPU:Intel core i3-6100 3.7Ghz

MOBO: Asus H110M-A D3

RAM: Ripjaws G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz 4GB x2

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R7 360 OC

PSU: Thermaltake TR2-600w

Excuse my english if you see something wrong with it.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I don't know what the numbers are, but 5 times out of 10, maybe 8 or 9, spontaneous shutdowns and problems booting are PSU. I've been a thermaltake user for about six years, two were pretty good and one died after three months. It is a good brand but never makes top grade on TH reviews. So there's that possibility.

I have my first Seasonic in the house and will probably get others "as needed, " meaning when the Thermaltakes fail.

If the budget is brutal, you might need to downgrade to a $35 Corsair or something to get operational. The TH budget psu recommendation is the Bitfenix. There are no guarantees. You have to try stuff until it works.

It's possible your PC is having a case of update-itis, try disconnecting all the peripherals except your OS and gpu and turn off or uninstall the aftermarket AV if you are using one (use Windows Defender instead). Let the system update, see if it gets happier.

Greg N

Jul 24, 2019
when you're away for a long time did you turn off your PSU and removed it from the power source?

If you did let the power off while you're away, it could be caused by the dust or the humidity (not sure if this a correct word). Simply clean all components and re-seat it back correctly, and hopefully it would run again. (I have experience it when I was away for vacations for a week)

If it's on, it could be a sign of failing PSU.
I just experienced it few days ago. The symptom is it won't turn on unless I unplugged the cable, then it would die within minutes. I just changed my PSU tonight and now it worked normally!