Question PC shuts down after booting thrice.

Dec 22, 2022
Hello everyone, there was a Optiplex 3010 that’s a core i3 ilying in my office for years totally box packed. now when i got it as it was of no use, i started it, it loaded till the window logo screen but then it shut down immediately, after that whenever i switch on the power supply it boots up for a second- twice then the third time it boots up till the window logo screen but shuts down immediately again after that whenever i press the power button it just starts for a second and turns off. i tried replacing the CMOS battery with another old one, changed the ram slots but all it did was that it booted up till the window logo screen and said “preparing auto repair” but then shut down immediately. Can anyone please tell me what’s wrong? if anyone wants i can provide a video too! Thanks a lot!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

This:

" i tried replacing the CMOS battery with another old one ".

Start with a new fresh CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.

Are you able to access the BIOS menus?

If so, configure POST/Boot to be as verbose as possible in order to (hopefully) observe what is happening during the POST process.

Also: "changed the ram slot ". Some mothereboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be installed in a specific slot.

You will need the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to check for any such requirement.

Failing that then refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to doublecheck that all installed components are indeed supported and correctly configured.

Details matter.