PC Shuts down and reboots randomly during gaming

ZippeH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Hey,

I recently replaced my mobo and processor and made a clean reinstall of Win7, to fix an issue with my PC BSODing due to DirectX being faulty.

The issue was fixed, but almost a month later I have started to have random reboots during gaming. It occurs like this: The PC shuts down, no BSOD. Power goes off like electricity went out. Then after a few seconds, the PC boots and everything works correctly until the next sudden reboot.

I will list my specs below:

Asus Maximus VII Ranger mobo
Intel i7 4790k at default 4 GHz, no overclock
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooling
2TB Kingston HDD
126 GB Transcend SSD with Windows on it
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5
8GB Dual Ripjaws RAM
Corsair RM850 PSU

Software commonly active during event of sudden reboot:

Foobar2000
StarCraft II/Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Open Broadcaster Software
Battle-Net App
Razer Synapse
PrntScrn screen cap tool
Nvidia GeForce Experience
Resource Control
CPUID HWMonitor
Sandboxie Control

Other notes: My system is 64 bit. I have updated my BIOS to the latest, I have not yet updated windows after the reinstall - updating it as I write.

So far I've been thinking that It must be either some game setting, or Foobar2000, but googling hasn't given me much help. It does not seem to be an overheating problem.

Update: 15.2.2015

Windows updates installed, GPU drivers updated to the latest. I played four games on the course of 3 hours in StarCraft II without sudden reboots. I suspect that Foobar2000 may be causing reboots, as it did cause me difficulties in far past, but it should be highly unlikely that software is the cause. Today I will be gaming with Foobar2000 playing music in the backround and see if I reboot.

If I do get a reboot, I will try a different music playing software and see again. However, do keep on posting suggestions. All help is greatly appreciated! \o/

Update: 16.2.2015

Reboot issue remains still, and I discovered that my Razer Blackwidow Chroma's driver software (Razer Synapse) could be causing this. There were news of the latest update causing it to be unstable. The latest sudden shut down I had was during no gaming, simply typing to a friend on steam. I uninstalled Razer Synapse and cleaned registry with CCleaner and am now waiting to see wether this solved my issue.

Later the same day:

I looked in to event viewer and it showed 9 critical errors over the course of the existance of my issue. The ID was 41, source was Kernel-Power (Possibly PSU, or hardware in general) and after some googling this could be either hard disk, RAM or PSU problem. Right now I'm playing without my HDD attatched, seeing wether I get a reboot this way.

ZippeH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

I clean it twice a month with pressured air and a gentle vaccuum simultaneously. Last cleaning was two days ago. Also I have CPUID HWMonitor on at all times to keep track of temperatures - sort of a habit since my last mobo/CPU combo had some clocking done to it.

I have not stopped following the temperatures, and I think I should maybe stress test my PC with maybe Intel Burn Test and keep track of the processor temperatures during that. Any suggestions on what'd be a common high performance temp for my processor? Around 70C?

ZippeH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to my CPU. CPU Cooling shouldn't be a problem, heh.

Also I did run a mem-test from the control panel earlyer, and there were no errors. I am writing an update to the main post about last night's experiences after updating windows and the GPU drivers... See OP!

ZippeH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

I can not put enough pressure on this: It is not an overheating issue.

Also... it was very obvious that I have applied a stable layer of thermal paste with as little air bubbles as possible to my CPU, and it's not even the factory paste, it's a separate cooler master one. The same I applied for my older CPU when clocking.

ZippeH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

My HDD and SSD both have been scanned for viruses, none found. I use Malwarebytes and F-Secure online scanner for virus scanning.

g-unit1111

Titan
Honestly it's most likely a power supply issue. Any time you have random reboots and shut downs I would point the culprit to be the power supply. Buying a cheap power supply, or even a low end PSU from a known brand (*COUGH* Corsair CX) can cause some serious issues in the long run, and that looks like that's starting to happen here. I would look at replacing your PSU ASAP.

Harley Van Belkom

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I am having the same problem it's intermittent while gaming like I can play for hours on minutes lol I have swapped out gpu and ram and still no joy I don't thinks it's overheating either because it's brand new plz any ideas ?