Question PC shuts down and restarts when playing heavy games after changing GPU ?

Dec 28, 2022
I hope it is ok I'm writing here. Long story short my partner gave me his GPU because he upgraded and since I installed his card while playing heavy games my PC shuts down. No BSOD. No weird temps were noticed. The PC is about 3 years old and the PSU 2 years old. I am trying to figure out how to fix this but I'm not getting anywhere. Also, I realized I don't have the knowledge to understand these logs completely. :( If anyone can take a look and suggest things I would appreciate it. :) Logs can be found on my hwinfo post: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/trying-to-find-out-what-is-wrong-with-my-pc.8556/

PS. This is not the first time I'm encountering this problem, last year or so I tried to add a GPU(VGA SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RADEON RX580) to the build and I had the same problem. So I gave up and gave my new shiny GPU to my dad and got his old one(MSI Radeon RX RX570) then the problem stopped. (I had peace once again but not anymore)

Things I've tried:
  • Updated to the latest drivers
  • Clean Chassis
  • Check cable connections
  • Reset CMOS
  • Placed RAM on different slots
  • Changed RAM with another pair
  • I tried the other GPU slot

Crushing while playing: Skyrim(Heavilly modded), Outward(Lightly modded), The Sims 4(Heavily modded)
Not crushing while playing: Among us, Thief, GW2

Specs:
HDD SEAGATE ST1000DM010 BARRACUDA 1TB 3.5" SATA 3
PSU CORSAIR CX SERIES CX750M ATX - 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED MODULAR
SSD WESTERN DIGITAL WDS250G2B0B 250GB BLUE 3D NAND M.2 2280 SATA 3
RAM PATRIOT PVE416G240C5KRD VIPER ELITE SERIES 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 2400MHZ DUAL KIT RED
MB ASROCK B360M PRO4 RETAIL
CPU INTEL CORE I5-8500 3.00GHZ LGA1151 - BOX
Windows 10
New GPU: Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080
Old GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU CORSAIR CX SERIES CX750M

At best, mediocre quality PSU. Only good for office PCs without dedicated GPU. But for gaming rigs, namely with high power consumption GPU, not enough build quality. This is also evidenced by when you took out the 185W RX580 and put in 150W RX570. Btw, GTX 1080 is 180W GPU.

So, look towards new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 650W range.
Pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,yc38TW,fnjJ7P,WJM48d/

(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Dec 28, 2022
At best, mediocre quality PSU. Only good for office PCs without dedicated GPU. But for gaming rigs, namely with high power consumption GPU, not enough build quality. This is also evidenced by when you took out the 185W RX580 and put in 150W RX570. Btw, GTX 1080 is 180W GPU.

So, look towards new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 650W range.
Pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,yc38TW,fnjJ7P,WJM48d/

(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)
Thank you for the answer! Is it ok to try my partner's old PSU (Thermaltake Smart SE 730W Modular)4 years old before I get a new one? The reason I'm thinking to try this is just to see that the cause is not the motherboard because if it is well I have an excuse to make a new build! :3

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thermaltake Smart SE 730W Modular

This is actually worse PSU than what you have. Tt Smart SE series are low quality PSUs and shouldn't be bought and used at all.

The reason I'm thinking to try this is just to see that the cause is not the motherboard

Well, you've already established that it isn't a MoBo, since build works fine with 150W GPU, but experiences shut downs with more powerful GPU. <- This is quite clear PSU issue, especially what you have, isn't that good of a PSU to begin with.

because if it is well I have an excuse to make a new build! :3

Why would you need an excuse when your PC works fine otherwise? :unsure:

Your specs are quite good and when PC does what you need it to do, then why crave for a new one?

For example, i'm running 6th gen Intel CPU (i5-6600K), which is older than yours (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig). Yet, my PC gets the job done just fine and i don't have a need for new one. Heck, my missus'es PC is running 4th gen Intel (i5-4590), which is far older than yours and she hasn't told me to get a new one for her either (Haswell build, full specs with pics in my sig).
Only real need for me to upgrade our builds, is at the end of 2025, when Win10 support ends, since neither of our PCs support Win11 officially. Still, i'm quite frustrated that Micro$oft is forcing us to retire otherwise well working PCs, for "just because". :heink:

If you have money to build yourself a new build, because you want it (but don't necessarily need it), then sure, go with new build. Your money in the end.

Dec 28, 2022
This is actually worse PSU than what you have. Tt Smart SE series are low quality PSUs and shouldn't be bought and used at all.

Well, you've already established that it isn't a MoBo, since build works fine with 150W GPU, but experiences shut downs with more powerful GPU. <- This is quite clear PSU issue, especially what you have, isn't that good of a PSU to begin with.

Why would you need an excuse when your PC works fine otherwise? :unsure:

Your specs are quite good and when PC does what you need it to do, then why crave for a new one?

For example, i'm running 6th gen Intel CPU (i5-6600K), which is older than yours (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig). Yet, my PC gets the job done just fine and i don't have a need for new one. Heck, my missus'es PC is running 4th gen Intel (i5-4590), which is far older than yours and she hasn't told me to get a new one for her either (Haswell build, full specs with pics in my sig).
Only real need for me to upgrade our builds, is at the end of 2025, when Win10 support ends, since neither of our PCs support Win11 officially. Still, i'm quite frustrated that Micro$oft is forcing us to retire otherwise well working PCs, for "just because". :heink:

If you have money to build yourself a new build, because you want it (but don't necessarily need it), then sure, go with new build. Your money in the end.

Well I agree that what I have is good the only reason to build a new one is just to make a pretty one 😏 I always wanted that slick colour-themed pc that I can admire at my desk :3 like those on youtube hehe ☺, but yeah I don't have the money for a new one so I'm getting a good new PSU for now. Thank you again for the answers hope it goes well!🤞

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I always wanted that slick colour-themed pc that I can admire at my desk :3

For that, you don't need completely new build. All what you need, is new PC case and doing system swap. Did same with my old AMD build and with my missus'es PC as well.

Haswell build started out as prebuilt. I swapped the PC case, bought better PSU, better case fans, NZXT HUE+ for eyecandy, CableMod custom sleeved cables, among other things and now, build looks far better;

UWsDFPh.jpg

Looks good, right? :sol:

My old main PC, AMD, also started out as prebuilt. But i overhauled it as well, with the same treatment as with all other PCs i have, including CableMod custom sleeved cables (to match the color theme), LED fans and other stuff;

9gjKPUD.jpg

Currently keeping it around for retro gaming (games pre-2005), since it's running WinXP Pro SP2.

Only my current build, Skylake, started out as parts, which i've built to look like i want it. Best part is, that it looks good even when not powered on. :LOL:

vgc9bNK.jpg

Dec 28, 2022
Hey indeed all look nice!! I decided to build a new PC and waiting on the parts to arrive, on my PS I "forgot" to mention that I burned my first power supply(folks never get a cheap af PSU get a GOOD one) hehe smoke, smell and all the good stuff(it was my first PC build don't judge me ppl :p). So I think I can assume that all my parts are compromised after that(?). Anyways, I did swap back to my old GPU, but the problem continued. Another interesting thing that happens is that the system with just one ram stick without gpu goes into a boot loop. :( Finally, I will assume it is the motherboard and I am moving on to a different build cause I don't have time to troubleshoot anymore. I do plan to take it to a store tho to check it by a professional because I wanna know which part is causing the issues.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I "forgot" to mention that I burned my first power supply(folks never get a cheap af PSU get a GOOD one) hehe smoke, smell and all the good stuff(it was my first PC build don't judge me ppl :p). So I think I can assume that all my parts are compromised after that(?).

Pretty much.

And without testing all components one-by-one, with 2nd, compatible PC, there's no telling what survived and what didn't. Even those that did survive, may have their lifespan reduced and/or doesn't work properly.

(it was my first PC build don't judge me ppl :p)

I'm not going to judge, since you already got your lesson.

But what i am interested in, is the mindset of yours, as of why you did went with cheap/crap PSU in the first place? :unsure:

You do know that PSU powers everything, right? And due to this, PSU is the most important component inside the PC. <- Here, i like to know the mindset that disregarded the "most important component" part.

Anyways, I did swap back to my old GPU, but the problem continued.

Like i said, your Corsair CXm isn't proper quality unit. MoBo VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) is another thing that acts up, when you use inferior PSU.

Oh, you don't have to go with the Seasonic/Corsair units i linked, since there are far more good PSUs out there. Pretty much anything from Tier A will do,
PSU tier list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

And PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic PRIME)

I have two Seasonic PRIME TX-650 (with 12 years of warranty) and one Seasonic Focus PX-550 (with 10 years of warranty). :) 0 issues with any of my PSUs and my oldest PRIME TX-650, is 6+ years old (bought it Oct'16). :sol:

Dec 28, 2022
You do know that PSU powers everything, right? And due to this, PSU is the most important component inside the PC. <- Here, i like to know the mindset that disregarded the "most important component" part.
Most definitely I do know now and absolutely agree :3

But what i am interested in, is the mindset of yours, as of why you did went with cheap/crap PSU in the first place? :unsure:

I'm embarrassed to say but it was this one PSU INNOVATOR IN07XD 650W BULK :( I thought only the amount of Watt mattered.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Most definitely I do know now and absolutely agree :3
(y)

I'm embarrassed to say but it was this one PSU INNOVATOR IN07XD 650W BULK :( I thought only the amount of Watt mattered.

"Bulk" PSUs are usually sold as industrial PSUs and huge bunch at once as well, hence the word "bulk" in it. These PSUs, should not be sold to consumers in the first place. While there are good quality industrial use PSUs as well, almost all of them are very noisy, since in industrial setting, noise is irrelevant. E.g Seasonic also makes good industrial PSUs, and so does Flextronics. (Seasonic, Super Flower and Flextronics are top 3 best PSU OEMs in the world.)

Most of the times, and as far as i've seen it, folks cheap out on PSU because money is spent elsewhere and little, if any, money is left for PSU. And without knowing, it's easy to think that, why to spend good money on a "box" sitting in PC, that virtually doesn't do anything. :ROFLMAO:

What is amusing to see, is that how much emphasis folks put on good GPU or CPU, but often disregard PSU. Time and time again, i've seen people able to afford 500+ bucks GPU, but not able to get 50 extra bucks for proper PSU. If everybody would put the same emphasis on PSU, as they put on GPU/CPU, the cheap and crap PSUs would be phased out (no demand) and we wouldn't have any crap PSUs on the market anymore. (It's a dream of mine. :) )

Back in the day (2016), when i bought 1st parts of my Skylake build, i had a choice:
  • Buy GTX 1060 6GB and cheaper, but still good Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze) PSU.
  • Or GTX 1060 3GB and best that money could buy, Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) PSU (now known as PRIME TX-650).

I think you can tell which option i picked. :D

TRENDING THREADS