[SOLVED] PC shuts down and won't boot for some time

Jun 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here and I hope I'm doing it correctly and in the right section.

I would like to ask for your help as I am having a big problem with my desktop gaming computer. It suddenly shuts down after a random amount of time. It started a few days ago and it happens at anytime, sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after 3 hours. There is no warning signs before it happens and it just shuts down like if there was a power outage.

The strange part is that the motherboard's LEDs are still on but the PC won't reboot if I don't unplug the PSU. Even if I wait for 10 hours but don't unplug the PSU, it won't boot. If I unplug the PSU and wait for 10 minutes, it boots.

A similar issue happened to me a few months ago with my computer not booting after a regular shutdown until I unplugged the PSU. At that time, I took apart everything, tested the PSU with a paperclip, and put everything back together. It solved the issue.

Another problem that might be related: for the past year, the screen hasn't been turning on when the PC boots. I get to Windows but the screen doesn't show anything unless I reboot. I suspected my GPU or DP cable to be responsible but the problem persisted even with no GPU and an HDMI cable directly connected to the motherboard. I also tested my two RAM sticks and they don't seem to be the culprit.

Other strange signs: when I can finally reboot after unplugging the PSU, I get some visual glitches on Windows (screen not centered, characters overlapping, weird borders), also get some audio issues with the sound crackling and my internet connection is extremely slow (down from 500+ Mb/s to 3 or 4 Mb/s) and I can barely use the internet. A reboot fix these issues until the next crash.

I tried to isolate the problem but as I don't have any other PSU, MB, CPU, GPU or RAM, I'm having a hard time figuring out what causes this problem. That's why I decided to ask for your help. Is there anything else I could do? I was planning to buy a new computer by the end of the year but I'd like to keep using my actual one as a second PC.

My PC parts are:
  • Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • i5 4690k (didn't OC)
  • Kraken x61
  • GTX Asus 970 Strix
  • 2x8 Go G.Skill
  • 2 Samsung 830 and 850 Evo SSDs
Sorry for the English mistakes and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the temperatures are totally normal and that this problem happens whether the PC is under load or not. Max temp in game : CPU 45℃ / GPU 70℃. Temp idle : CPU 30-35℃ / GPU 50-60℃.

Last edited:
Solution
Are all your drivers up to date?
Do you see any yellow warning signs in Device Manager?
Do you have your motherboards latest BIOS update? Many updates have been issued to "Improve system stability".
Jun 29, 2019
Thank you for your answer. No yellow warning signs in the device manager but it seems like I was running an old BIOS version. I updated it to the last version, and also updated other drivers like chipset, audio, ethernet, GPU, etc... Hard to say if it changed anything yet but I'll use the computer today to see how it goes and keep you updated.

Jun 29, 2019
Hi Rocktalkrock,

Two days since the BIOS update and so far, I haven't had a single crash. I could play games and watch videos for a couple of hours without any issue. I hope I'm not jinxing it by saying this, but it seems like the problem is solved, so a huge thanks for your time and help!