Question PC Shuts down during shader building on Last Of Us Part 1 ?

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
running and i9-10900k with a Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO Cooler MSI Z490 Motherboard and RTX 3080 with 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600mhz. and for power supply i have a Seasonic GX-1000w Gold+. This only happens when the game is building shaders i monitor it with rivatuner while its building the shaders the CPU temp is around 73c while the GPU is at 50c i really dont know what the problem is here.

Solution
shader compiling is just CPU thing, what are your VRM temps? aio coolers tends to have bad vrm cooling

btw if PC shutsdown and pressing power button on PC case does nothing, only way to power up is to on/off PSU switch - PSU protection kicked in
but if PC power button works, mainboard protection kicked in, which is usualy due to unsafe mainboard temperatures

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
What, if anything, are you overclocking (memory, CPU, GPU)?

nothings overclocked i even turned off the XMP Profile in my Mobo Bios and still shutdowns during shader building i notice the shader building process is a proper stress test this is the only time and the only game ive had where it does this. its like the PC switches off and then comes back on again afterwards loading up windows etc.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
How old is your PSU? Can you see the manufacturing date on the label?

There was a problem with high-end RTX 3000 series GPUs and some Seasonic PSUs. I personally experienced this and there are multiple threads on the topic.

to be fair its not really that i think its like 2/3 years old whats interesting is i disabled the XMP Profile for my ram so its basically default 2133mhz for DDR4 i tested the game again and it built the shaders and lasted longer but eventually it did end up turning off again. I turns the PC off and then back on which im guessing is a BIOS Setting to turn it after a power loss. It seems odd if my PSU is going bad.

But one thing i do wanna mention aswell was i tested the shader building process again and i even undervolted my RTX 3080 so during the shader building the GPU is around 180w and the CPU at default 4.9Ghz is going at 160w-180w. its difficult to say if it is the power supply or not. my temp on the CPU was at 69-73c and the GPU was only at 50c since the shader building is 100% Load on the CPU

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
That could be the issue. I'll have to research later, but you may need to replace your PSU. It is a technical limitation that causes the shutdowns to occur. You can't tweak the problem away.

Google this string: nvidia gpu failure using seasonic psu

The thing that seems odd though i put an undervolt on the 3080 and its only doing like 40-50% load on the GPU because its using the CPU mostly for building the shaders. Surely undervolting the 3080 would help with the problem wouldnt it?

The thing that seems odd though i put an undervolt on the 3080 and its only doing like 40-50% load on the GPU because its using the CPU mostly for building the shaders. Surely undervolting the 3080 would help with the problem wouldnt it?
I'm not familiar with this specific issue, but never mess with PSU issues. If it is truly affected replace it, the consequences can be dire ($$$$$$$) for not doing so.

shader compiling is just CPU thing, what are your VRM temps? aio coolers tends to have bad vrm cooling

btw if PC shutsdown and pressing power button on PC case does nothing, only way to power up is to on/off PSU switch - PSU protection kicked in
but if PC power button works, mainboard protection kicked in, which is usualy due to unsafe mainboard temperatures

Solution

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021

The temps dont seem to be too bad its quite hard to see because i use HWInfo to monitor the max and min voltages and temperatures but obviously when the PC shuts off it resets. The PC doesnt stay off it literally goes off then comes back on again so i have to log in to windows etc.

running and i9-10900k with a Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO Cooler MSI Z490 Motherboard and RTX 3080 with 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600mhz. and for power supply i have a Seasonic GX-1000w Gold+. This only happens when the game is building shaders i monitor it with rivatuner while its building the shaders the CPU temp is around 73c while the GPU is at 50c i really dont know what the problem is here.
Take the side panel off the case see if it makes a diff.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
theres nothing wrong with the PSU
Just a follow up. Yes, your PSU should be okay. Note the additional comments/notes (7) here:

This was a common issue for a while. Was just making sure this wasn't a concern in this scenario.

TRENDING THREADS