[SOLVED] PC Shuts down/restarts abruptly after hours of use

Jan 14, 2022
Hey y'all I've been having a problem with my pc right now. This past 2 weeks i've been experiencing some abrupt shutdowns on my PC without BSOD and all. My PC would sometimes shut down (PC fans and lights would turn off) or restart immediately (PC fans are on and it would immediately restart) while im playing a game. I've been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps so I ruled out overheating. This only happened after I reinstalled windows on my PC.

Also whenever my pc restarts I notice that one of my old hard drives where some of my files are located is at 100% disk usage on startup. Could this also be a factor on why my pc shuts down/restarts?

My PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower 550w

Solution
These are my specs
CPU: Intel core 2 extreme Q6850
GPU: Geforce GTX 680
Mobo: ASUS Maximus Extreme
RAM: 8gb

I have a very old build but I mainly use it for work and the games I play are not that demanding

well the problem with trashtier psus is that the caps are often rated for maybe only 10.000 hours , a quality psu can be 10x that amount . since you said its a very old build , and you are on an ancient cpu / socket, it could be either the psu or the motherboard showing signs of its age , more likely the psu, that would be my guess. ram/cpu are things that will often run forever and a gpu/hdd problem likelywouldnt result in an abrubt shutdown.
if you can get your hands on a test psu go with that. otherwise you may wanna just...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also whenever my pc restarts I notice that one of my old hard drives where some of my files are located is at 100% disk usage on startup. Could this also be a factor on why my pc shuts down/restarts?

Storage HDD doesn't have any power over PSU. Except when PSU detects short within the HDD. But once that happens, HDD is toast.

Oh my... Low quality PSU, only good to power non-GPU office/HTPC PCs. But not even close to power high load gaming build. Here, your PSU either fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation. Hence why PC shuts down/reboots.

Fix? Replace PSU with good quality unit. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME series or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hey y'all I've been having a problem with my pc right now. This past 2 weeks i've been experiencing some abrupt shutdowns on my PC without BSOD and all. My PC would sometimes shut down (PC fans and lights would turn off) or restart immediately (PC fans are on and it would immediately restart) while im playing a game. I've been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps so I ruled out overheating. This only happened after I reinstalled windows on my PC.

Junky PSU, but since you've told us nothing about the rest of your PC, I can't even venture a wild guess whether it's the specific problem here.

Jan 14, 2022
jup . trashtier psu. what are your specs. do you run a dedicated gpu?
These are my specs

I have a very old build but I mainly use it for work and the games I play are not that demanding

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
These are my specs

well the problem with trashtier psus is that the caps are often rated for maybe only 10.000 hours , a quality psu can be 10x that amount . since you said its a very old build , and you are on an ancient cpu / socket, it could be either the psu or the motherboard showing signs of its age , more likely the psu, that would be my guess. ram/cpu are things that will often run forever and a gpu/hdd problem likelywouldnt result in an abrubt shutdown.
if you can get your hands on a test psu go with that. otherwise you may wanna just invest in a decent unit from the psu cult tier list. i wouldnt waste alot of money on a system with such ancient garbage specs so a C tier psu with at least 450w will do fine such as the be quiet system power 9 or evga 500 br.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, this PSU should never have been paired with this equipment, so hopefully it's just an ancient, inappropriate PSU starting to struggle more rather than the PSU damaging something. In any case, replacing the PSU and re-evaluating is the first priority.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

That is one power hungry GPU you have in there, at 195W.

With this, i'd be looking towards 650W PSU, and good quality, the same i shared above. Best part of it is, that once you eventually go with new build, you can transfer your PSU over and doesn't need to buy another PSU.

i wouldnt waste alot of money on a system with such ancient garbage specs so a C tier psu with at least 450w will do fine such as the be quiet system power 9 or evga 500 br.

You do know that PSUs can be transferred over to a new build, right?

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
You do know that PSUs can be transferred over to a new build, right?

Read what he primarely does with the pc.

"I have a very old build but I mainly use it for work and the games I play are not that demanding"

Ive thought about advicing a higher wattage unit just for that reason alone but opted out of it , tho its not a terrible idea..

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022
I fiddled with the power settings just now and saw that my settings are on high performance (I always put it on balanced). Since the shutdowns only happened after I reinstalled windows this might have what caused the problem.

Hopefully, setting it to "balanced" would temporarily fix it since I have to wait for another month to save for money.

Either ways, if the problem persists I think I would buy a good PSU next time and I'll take all of your recommendations into consideration.

Thanks for the replies.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
I fiddled with the power settings just now and saw that my settings are on high performance (I always put it on balanced). Since the shutdowns only happened after I reinstalled windows this might have what caused the problem.

Hopefully, setting it to "balanced" would temporarily fix it since I have to wait for another month to save for money.

Either ways, if the problem persists I think I would buy a good PSU next time and I'll take all of your recommendations into consideration.

Thanks for the replies.
That is not gonna fix anything. but good luck tho and ur welcome.