Question PC shuts down shortly after I've put it to sleep ?

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Hello! I noticed recently that i will put my pc to sleep, it goes to sleep and then some time later it will shut down. Why is it doing this? It’s the second day in a row it’s done this.

Specs:

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime X570-P Ryzen 3 AM4 with PCIe Gen4, Dual M.2 HDMI, SATA 6GB/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 ATX
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 s
CPU: Ryzen 5 6 core
MONITOR: SAMSUNG 23.5” CF396 Curved Computer
STORAGE: Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB Gen4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2 SSD
PSU: Corsair RMX White Series (2018), RM750x, 750 Watt
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB
BIOS:American Megatrends Inc. 1405, 11/19/2019

Ralston18

Titan
Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Power & sleep to check the current settings.

Windows has a number of ways to configure power saving/screen saving/ sleep mode etc..

There may be other settings invoked via some utility or application running in the background.

Look in Reliability History. Very likely there will be some error code, warning, or even an informational event that was captured somewhere along the "pc to sleep" to "shut down" stream of events.

Also check Task Scheduler. Could be something being triggered after X amount of sleep time that forces a shutdown.

And remember that Windows allows different power plans - one of those plans could be involved as well.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Power & sleep to check the current settings.

Windows has a number of ways to configure power saving/screen saving/ sleep mode etc..

There may be other settings invoked via some utility or application running in the background.

Look in Reliability History. Very likely there will be some error code, warning, or even an informational event that was captured somewhere along the "pc to sleep" to "shut down" stream of events.

Also check Task Scheduler. Could be something being triggered after X amount of sleep time that forces a shutdown.

And remember that Windows allows different power plans - one of those plans could be involved as well.
I tried all that none of it worked. I even tried turning off fast reboot. i thought that worked because last night it didn’t shut down completely it stayed on the whole time, but i just now noticed it shut down again after being put to sleep after a while. I’m not sure what else to do.

Ralston18

Titan
Try to learn more about the current power configuration.

To do that use "powercfg /list" via the Command Prompt.

Many options available to delve into the details.

References (and you can find other similar tutorials and guildelines):

https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan/

Powershell can also be used.

Example (from my desktop):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Fast Startup

This action is disabled in the current system policy.

= = = =

The primary objective being to determine the both the current power settings (sleepstates) and what is actually controlling those settings.

Good chance that you will find some setting that is not as expected or required.

Again it could be something that is launched during startup and/or being triggered later on via Task Scheduler.

Note: you may find any number of listed "fixes". There is no immediate need to rush into any specific fix. And do not download any apps that claim they will fix the problem. Some of those will appear no matter what problem is being addressed.

Also: stay out of the registry. Registry editing is a last resort.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Try to learn more about the current power configuration.

To do that use "powercfg /list" via the Command Prompt.

Many options available to delve into the details.

References (and you can find other similar tutorials and guildelines):

https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan/

Powershell can also be used.

Example (from my desktop):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Fast Startup

This action is disabled in the current system policy.

= = = =

The primary objective being to determine the both the current power settings (sleepstates) and what is actually controlling those settings.

Good chance that you will find some setting that is not as expected or required.

Again it could be something that is launched during startup and/or being triggered later on via Task Scheduler.

Note: you may find any number of listed "fixes". There is no immediate need to rush into any specific fix. And do not download any apps that claim they will fix the problem. Some of those will appear no matter what problem is being addressed.

Also: stay out of the registry. Registry editing is a last resort.
I tried a bunch more stuff yesterday and it yet again did it. I’m going to try a few more things later today to see if that will help. If that doesn’t do anything should i just update my bios? The last time i updated it was 3-4 years ago when i first built my pc. But i’ve been waiting to do it as a last resort kinda thing.

Ralston18

Titan
What stuff did you try?

More information is needed. Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or informational event preceding the shutdowns.

And as a general observation that 4 - 5 year PSU could be starting to become a bit fickle.

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connector are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage.

If you are not comfortable with opening the case then find a knowledgable family member or friend to help.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
What stuff did you try?

More information is needed. Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or informational event preceding the shutdowns.

And as a general observation that 4 - 5 year PSU could be starting to become a bit fickle.

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connector are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage.

If you are not comfortable with opening the case then find a knowledgable family member or friend to help.
I tried everything you told me to do as well as checking for overheating, updating my windows (i didn’t try updating my drivers yet), scanning for viruses, turning off hibernate and fast reboot, running troubleshooter. I’m going to try updating my drivers, resetting my power plan to default and then cleaning it out throughly. I typically clean my pc about every 4 months and then lightly dust every 2 weeks. I checked Task Scheduler but I’m not too sure what i’m even supposed to be looking for? I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Also I noticed it typically shuts down after around 30-40 minutes of being put to sleep.

Ralston18

Titan
Received your PM.

To answer: all information should be via this thread. And you can indeed post images, screenshots, and photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Keeping everything in the thread keeps everyone "in the loop". And someone may spot an error of omission or commission on my part that would otherwise have been missed if only in a PM.

In Task Scheduler I would be looking for some app/process that is triggered after 30-40 minutes of sleep that proceeds with shutting down the PC. You can look back as much as 30 days and there could be hundreds of entries.

The next "sleep to shutdown" event happens look at the last hour or 24 hours. Task Status may reveal the reason.

Likewise Active Tasks would be good place to look. Shows all active tasks that have not expired. And what triggers them can be learned by a double left click. Lots of information - check the "Conditions" tabs.

Take your time looking about. "Cancel" is your friend.

In Reliability History, use the timeline format to look for things that happened just prior to the shutdowns. Could be errors, warnings, or even informational events. You used the word "recently" Look for something being captured in Reliability History that started appearing "recently". Does not have to be an error or warning. Informational events matter as well.

There may be some update, a virus scan, or some app simply taking advantage of the sleep state or lack of activity and when finished its activities has been configured to shutdown.

Look in Task Manager for everything being launched at startup. If you do not recognize something then that unknown can be investigated.

Another useful tool is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Processes that are not explainable need to be checked further.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Received your PM.

To answer: all information should be via this thread. And you can indeed post images, screenshots, and photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Keeping everything in the thread keeps everyone "in the loop". And someone may spot an error of omission or commission on my part that would otherwise have been missed if only in a PM.

In Task Scheduler I would be looking for some app/process that is triggered after 30-40 minutes of sleep that proceeds with shutting down the PC. You can look back as much as 30 days and there could be hundreds of entries.

The next "sleep to shutdown" event happens look at the last hour or 24 hours. Task Status may reveal the reason.

Likewise Active Tasks would be good place to look. Shows all active tasks that have not expired. And what triggers them can be learned by a double left click. Lots of information - check the "Conditions" tabs.

Take your time looking about. "Cancel" is your friend.

In Reliability History, use the timeline format to look for things that happened just prior to the shutdowns. Could be errors, warnings, or even informational events. You used the word "recently" Look for something being captured in Reliability History that started appearing "recently". Does not have to be an error or warning. Informational events matter as well.

There may be some update, a virus scan, or some app simply taking advantage of the sleep state or lack of activity and when finished its activities has been configured to shutdown.

Look in Task Manager for everything being launched at startup. If you do not recognize something then that unknown can be investigated.

Another useful tool is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Processes that are not explainable need to be checked further.
Okay thats fine!

I looked in my Task Scheduler and I noticed a task called "UpdateOrchestrator" its the only task that is around the time that I got off my computer. But Im not sure thats it lol I dont think it is. But I uploaded a screenshot of it along with my reliability history. Both errors occurred around the time /days that my pc started having this issue (About 4-5 days ago)

Screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/DpKC1xV

I also had a task called "Overwolf" that I wasnt sure what it was. It was the only app that was Enabled through startup so I disabled it. I have never seen it before until recently, so who knows maybe that was the issue. Im still not sure.

I downloaded the tool you referred, Im not to sure what I do with it going forward tho haha

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Define 'sleep'? There's actually several different difinituve stages, with several more minor varients. But basically sleep isn't a set level until it reaches C6/7, which is uber deep sleep, as in comatose.

C1-2 is a light sleep, everything is still pretty much on, but the pc is in low power mode, so requires an input to wake to normal functionality, C0.
C3-4 is a deeper sleep where things are being shutdown that aren't absolutely necessary, the cpu goes into a very low power mode.
C5+ is deepest sleep, coma, where everything is shut down and the cpu is at it lowest power level, next best thing to actually being turned off.

But all require some sort of wake timer, whether that's Lan/Wan or mouse or keyboard or combination.

In most pc's, the power button can be set for several different options, such as reset, sleep, hold 5 seconds for shutdown, or shutdown. So if you are positive that the pc is actually going to 'sleep', going from C1 to C6/7 over a period of time, should also check to see if you actually also have a way to wake the pc up, in power plan/advanced, check the wake on Lan or mouse or keyboard is enabled or you'll have no way to actually wake the pc up, it'll behave exactly like it's shut down.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
This "Overwolf"?

https://support.overwolf.com/en/support/solutions/articles/9000176825-what-is-overwolf-

Not familar with it so will defer to those who are familar with it.

Overall though, such things tend to peg my skepticism meter. Especially when the software is offered as "free".

From the link:

"As part of Overwolf's framework, app developers can choose to include ads in their apps for revenue. It is not obligatory, and some apps may also offer subscription plans that include ads-removal and additional premium features. "

????

= = = =

In Reliability History:

Note the dividing "|" between "Name" and "Status". You should be able to grab and move the divider line.

Drag the line in order to reveal the full wording begining with the shown "AC Power in....."

Note that in the image you provided there is a trigger "wake the computer to run this task".

The problem at hand is that the computer is shutting down not waking up. Need to see the full name/description.

What are those two red "critical errors"?

As for Process Explorer it is simply a tool to show what all a computer is doing. The troubleshooting value is that Process Explorer may reveal something running that is unknown, unexpected, or otherwise suspect.

In reverse, Process Explorer can reveal that something that should be (or is expected to be) running is not running.

All in all, you are doing fine.

Very likely a deeply buried issue.

And (over taken by events) @Karadjgne has raised another interesting explanation and possibility. [Thank you.]

The computer is only doing what it has been programmed/configured to do. What that is is the mystery.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Define 'sleep'? There's actually several different difinituve stages, with several more minor varients. But basically sleep isn't a set level until it reaches C6/7, which is uber deep sleep, as in comatose.

C1-2 is a light sleep, everything is still pretty much on, but the pc is in low power mode, so requires an input to wake to normal functionality, C0.
C3-4 is a deeper sleep where things are being shutdown that aren't absolutely necessary, the cpu goes into a very low power mode.
C5+ is deepest sleep, coma, where everything is shut down and the cpu is at it lowest power level, next best thing to actually being turned off.

But all require some sort of wake timer, whether that's Lan/Wan or mouse or keyboard or combination.

In most pc's, the power button can be set for several different options, such as reset, sleep, hold 5 seconds for shutdown, or shutdown. So if you are positive that the pc is actually going to 'sleep', going from C1 to C6/7 over a period of time, should also check to see if you actually also have a way to wake the pc up, in power plan/advanced, check the wake on Lan or mouse or keyboard is enabled or you'll have no way to actually wake the pc up, it'll behave exactly like it's shut down.
Im pre sure its just a light sleep. Normally if my pc didnt shut down I could just tap a key on my keyboard or click my mouse and itll wake up. Thats what I normally do. But recently I've been putting it into the light sleep and then it goes into shutdown where I have to press my power button in order for it to start up. It even shows the "ASUS" screen for me to enter my BIOS if need be, and then to where I'd type my password to enter my computer.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
This "Overwolf"?

https://support.overwolf.com/en/support/solutions/articles/9000176825-what-is-overwolf-

Not familar with it so will defer to those who are familar with it.

Overall though, such things tend to peg my skepticism meter. Especially when the software is offered as "free".

From the link:

"As part of Overwolf's framework, app developers can choose to include ads in their apps for revenue. It is not obligatory, and some apps may also offer subscription plans that include ads-removal and additional premium features. "

????

= = = =

In Reliability History:

Note the dividing "|" between "Name" and "Status". You should be able to grab and move the divider line.

Drag the line in order to reveal the full wording begining with the shown "AC Power in....."

Note that in the image you provided there is a trigger "wake the computer to run this task".

The problem at hand is that the computer is shutting down not waking up. Need to see the full name/description.

What are those two red "critical errors"?

As for Process Explorer it is simply a tool to show what all a computer is doing. The troubleshooting value is that Process Explorer may reveal something running that is unknown, unexpected, or otherwise suspect.

In reverse, Process Explorer can reveal that something that should be (or is expected to be) running is not running.

All in all, you are doing fine.

Very likely a deeply buried issue.

And (over taken by events) @Karadjgne has raised another interesting explanation and possibility. [Thank you.]

The computer is only doing what it has been programmed/configured to do. What that is is the mystery.
It says "AC Power Install" Thats also why I doubted that it was that in the first place because of it saying it would need to wake the computer instead of it being shutdown.

Both of the critical errors say it is "LiveKernelEvent Code 141" and I have no idea what that means lol. I tried researching what it meant and ways to fix it. It says its a hardware error, something do with my GPU, memory, or hard disk. The article I read told me I could try uninstalling and reinstalling my gpu drivers as well as doing a clean boot but I wanted to wait and see what you had to say before going forward with that.

Sorry I thought I added the error on the one screenshot. Here it is:

View: https://imgur.com/a/NVY82Va

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I dislike that particular error because it's so generic. It could be hardware, software or drivers. Well duh. Depending on the actual cause of that error, shutdowns are not uncommon.

My guess would be 3rd party software, there's a ton of cheapo code written that have no checks/balances, so will try to run in the background, but with a cpu shutting down resources, suddenly have an issue.

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I dislike that particular error because it's so generic. It could be hardware, software or drivers. Well duh. Depending on the actual cause of that error, shutdowns are not uncommon.

My guess would be 3rd party software, there's a ton of cheapo code written that have no checks/balances, so will try to run in the background, but with a cpu shutting down resources, suddenly have an issue.
I’m not sure i’ve been trying to keep track and time when i put it to sleep and when it shuts down. I just got off my pc at 5:13 and noticed it already had shutdown at 5:16.

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back and per the preceding post: how to you put the computer to sleep - what exactly do you do?

Do you close any apps beforehand, launch some background process, leave something (a game, movie, streaming audio) paused?

= = = =

Seconding "3rd party software" per @Karadjgne.

My suggestions, and there may be other suggestions, is to first remove everything not absolutely necessary from Startup in Task Manager.

No immediate need to uninstall - just do not allow such software to launch.

Next, reconfigure all power/screen savers/sleep modes etc. to "off". Do not put the computer to sleep yourself.

The primary objective simply being to prevent the computer from shutting itself down -if possible.

Once the shutdowns end, then you can methodically start bringing back, one by one, the various apps that were disabled. Allow some time between each return.

At some point, the shutdowns may reappear and you will know what the last app was and thus a likely suspect. However, there may be some software conflict involved so "last app" may no be the sole reason.

Continue watching Reliability History for changes in errors and or patterns.

What is different when shutting down and not shutting down?

Sette

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Yesterday I thought I fixed it because it didnt do it all day or night but now it did it earlier today lol. I tried closing all apps before I put it to sleep thought that worked but then it shut down again. Before this occurred I would only leave apps like Discord or Google Chrome open.

I never have anything enabled at my startup all the apps are disabled. I just dont understand tbh sometimes it does it and sometimes not.