Question PC shuts down when I'm gaming ?

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Recently just build a new rig and the pc shuts down when playing demanding games and weird screen glitches occur when playing other games. Launching cyberpunk 2077, rainbow six siege have caused the pc to immediatly turn off and after playing overwatch 2 for around 10 minutes I got an error saying the video driver could not be found.

The toshiba hard drive and wd green ssd are from old builds but I doubt they are the issue. I've had cable extensions and assumed they were the issue but once I removed them the pc actually shuts down faster when I launch cyberpunk.

• Checked temperatures but game shuts down too fast for temperatures to even rise.
  • Originally I connected my gpu was connected by one 8pin pcie connector that split into two 6+2 connector, but I switched it to where now both 8 pin connectors on the gpu is connected by separate 6+2 connectors. This however hasn't changed anything.
  • I switched off c-state in the bios after watching a LTT video, but still hasn't solved the issue.
  • I've tried running with one stick of ram but problem still persists.

I'm considering buying a new psu, in the case my current one is faulty but still want to know if there are other options available first.

I've heard that if the cpu cooler is touching the capacitors on the motherboard it could cause it to shut down, and my cooler may be touching it. My cooler also draws 150W so could it be a wattage problem?
I'm quite lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5600
CPU Cooler: be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 FX
GPU: AMD Sapphire Pulse 7800xt
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5
MOBO: MSI B650 Gaming PLUS WIFI
PSU: Gigabyte UD750GM
Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD, WD Green 1TB SSD, Fanxiang S880 2TB M.2

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What Event Viewer says when PC turns off? Event ID 41?

I've heard that if the cpu cooler is touching the capacitors on the motherboard it could cause it to shut down, and my cooler may be touching it.
Your CPU cooler doesn't touch MoBo caps.

My cooler also draws 150W so could it be a wattage problem?
Would you explain, kindly, how one 120mm ARGB fan consumes 150W of power? :mouais: Since that one fan is the only thing that consumes power on your CPU cooler.
CPU cooler specs: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/3739

The specs say fan is rated for 4.6W, so, how on earth the fan pulls 32.6 times more power than it is rated for? :??:

I'm considering buying a new psu, in the case my current one is faulty
PSU may not be faulty but PSU isn't good quality either. More like mediocre quality with measly 5 years of warranty.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-ud750gm-power-supply-review

For proper PSU, look towards 10 year (or even better - 12 year) warranty PSU, like: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi or Super Flower Leadex.
(Seasonic Vertex and PRIME have 12 years of warranty, other listed ones have 10 years of warranty.) 750W good/great quality unit does fine.

But as it stands currently, my main suspicion is on the PSU, which has poor track record.

Reactions: helper800

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
What Event Viewer says when PC turns off? Event ID 41?

Your CPU cooler doesn't touch MoBo caps.

Would you explain, kindly, how one 120mm ARGB fan consumes 150W of power? :mouais: Since that one fan is the only thing that consumes power on your CPU cooler.
CPU cooler specs: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/3739

The specs say fan is rated for 4.6W, so, how on earth the fan pulls 32.6 times more power than it is rated for? :??:

PSU may not be faulty but PSU isn't good quality either. More like mediocre quality with measly 5 years of warranty.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-ud750gm-power-supply-review

For proper PSU, look towards 10 year (or even better - 12 year) warranty PSU, like: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi or Super Flower Leadex.
(Seasonic Vertex and PRIME have 12 years of warranty, other listed ones have 10 years of warranty.) 750W good/great quality unit does fine.

But as it stands currently, my main suspicion is on the PSU, which has poor track record.
Yeah sorry I misinterpreted the 150W. It can cool CPUS with a max draw of 150W is what it is.
I wish I could tell you the Event Viewer ID but as of right now by PC isn't even booting up any more. If it does I'll edit this reply.

I do too suspect the PSU. I've just ordered a seasonic 1000w PSU which is definitely overkill but I'd rather get some longevity. I've always had bad luck with PSU's (have had 2 brand new PSUs that were faulty) so I'm hoping this fixes it.

FrannyPanny

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Not all PSUs are created equal and without proper knowledge, it's easy to end up with sub-par units, especially when you look to save money on PSU part.
In regards to the event viewer IDs, I'm really only getting a lot of event viewer ID: 7023 which states:
"The Software Protection service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied."
which doesn't seem to be the cause for my issue.
Other than that the only other critical errors leading to the shutoff is ID 36871:
"A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10013."

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Most issues with PCs are either software or hardware.

Software wise; driver incompatibility, OS corruption and conflicting software are three leading issues.

Best software fix;
* format OS drive
* make clean Win install

This gets rid of all software issues, including bloatware and malware (except rootkits or when malware is on 2nd drive and then infects OS drive again).

However, your main symptom is of hardware issue.

the pc shuts down when playing demanding games
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up.

Reactions: FrannyPanny