[SOLVED] PC shuts down when running games on high.

Sep 24, 2021
It's been a few months since I've completed my build but I've been brushing off the problem of it suddenly shutting down when I play games on high/very high performance.
Here's my build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
  • MOBO: ROG Strix B550-E
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 32GB (2x16GB) (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
  • PSU: Corsair RM850
  • COOLER: ROG Strix LC 240 RGB
Other:
  • MONITORS: Asus VG27AQL1A (1440p, 170hz) + BENQ GW2283 (1080p, 60hz)
  • CASE: Lian-Li O11 Air
  • FANS: 6 Arctic case fans 120mm
  • FAN CONTROLLER: ID COOLING HA-02
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue + 2TB SeaGate BarraCuda
  • UPS: CyberPower UT1500E (1500VA)
Basically what happens is whenever I run a game on high/ultra settings my PC automatically shuts down, but the RGB on my AIO is still on. though hitting the power button doesn't turn it on. Only when I hit the power switch at the back of the PSU or when I shutdown the UPS is when I can turn on the PC again.

The other night was the last straw because it crashed to Apex Legends of all games. It started with Valheim, to Sea of Thieves, Star Wars: Fallen Order, and Apex Legends. I sorted things out by setting the graphics lower (except for Valheim that game just messed my PC up entirely) and it would run fine. It just pisses me off that I don't know what's wrong... with it being able to run Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX /Ultra for hours but can' t take Apex Legends on High, only Medium or Low. I've stressed test countless of times with different software and only when I play games is it when it decides to crash. I've formatted my PC already and all drivers are updated, but I'm back to square one. No overclocks, everything on default.

Solution
It's been a few months since I've completed my build but I've been brushing off the problem of it suddenly shutting down when I play games on high/very high performance.
Here's my build:
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 32GB (2x16GB) (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
Other:
Basically what...
Here's my build:
Other:
Basically what happens is whenever I run a game on high/ultra settings my PC automatically shuts down, but the RGB on my AIO is still on. though hitting the power button doesn't turn it on. Only when I hit the power switch at the back of the PSU or when I shutdown the UPS is when I can turn on the PC again.

The other night was the last straw because it crashed to Apex Legends of all games. It started with Valheim, to Sea of Thieves, Star Wars: Fallen Order, and Apex Legends. I sorted things out by setting the graphics lower (except for Valheim that game just messed my PC up entirely) and it would run fine. It just pisses me off that I don't know what's wrong... with it being able to run Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX /Ultra for hours but can' t take Apex Legends on High, only Medium or Low. I've stressed test countless of times with different software and only when I play games is it when it decides to crash. I've formatted my PC already and all drivers are updated, but I'm back to square one. No overclocks, everything on default.
Try this step by step (read till end)
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 24 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings then shutdown.

• Take off gpu and ram and clean their contacts, wait till it dries, then plug them back again

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

• Open afterburner, and try to lock the voltage and underclock it by -100 or -200, and apply, see if it doesn't crash..

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest windows update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 24, 2021
Try this step by step (read till end)
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 24 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings then shutdown.

• Take off gpu and ram and clean their contacts, wait till it dries, then plug them back again

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

• Open afterburner, and try to lock the voltage and underclock it by -100 or -200, and apply, see if it doesn't crash..

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest windows update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Thanks for this, so far I've followed the steps but I've encountered a problem with the RAM as usual. Whenever I take it out and put it in it won't post again. Also the links your provided are for the wrong MOBO. I'm using a B550 not a B450, but don't worry I downloaded the right chipset driver and I already have the latest BIOS.

And for the GPU, yes it's two separate cables already installed.

Sep 24, 2021
Thanks for this, so far I've followed the steps but I've encountered a problem with the RAM as usual. Whenever I take it out and put it in it won't post again. Also the links your provided are for the wrong MOBO. I'm using a B550 not a B450, but don't worry I downloaded the right chipset driver and I already have the latest BIOS.

And for the GPU, yes it's two separate cables already installed.

Got it working after following this guide. I'll proceed with the following steps and test it on some games again and I'll update you on how it goes! Thanks again.