Question PC shuts off abruptly during gaming. light flickering with a slight clicking sound

miTech_1

Honorable
Mar 10, 2017
hi everyone:

my pc occasionally shuts off abruptly during gaming. Then It keeps turning on and off multiple times, light flickering with a slight clicking sound. This continues until I unplug all the USB connections and turn it off using the back power button. After waiting for several seconds, it starts working again.

is it PSU issue, should i change it or is there any advise.

below my specs for reference

PSU: CORSAIR RM850 CP-9020235-NA 850 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080-Ti
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
SSD: Corsair Force LE200 SSD 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB
RAM: Corsair K32GX5M2B5200C40 2x16GB
MBD: MSI PRO Z690-A (MS-7D25)

Thanks

How old is your RM 850?

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Have you run Memtest86 for FOUR full passes to eliminate memory as the source of the problem?

Have you run any GPU stress tests to see if you can force a similar shut down when the GPU is under a full load WITHOUT it being a gaming related load? Like Furmark or another utility?

miTech_1

Honorable
Mar 10, 2017
How old is your RM 850?

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Have you run Memtest86 for FOUR full passes to eliminate memory as the source of the problem?

Have you run any GPU stress tests to see if you can force a similar shut down when the GPU is under a full load WITHOUT it being a gaming related load? Like Furmark or another utility?
i bought the RM 850 back in July-22 from newegg

i did not try the memory test, i will try it.

GPU Stress test is done, nothing wrong, attached result FYI

i just noticed something right now, whenever i plug my iphone to charge it using the front USBC the PC will shutdown after couple of minutes. is this something related

thanks for your reply

Last edited:
That depends. Is your problem happening ONLY when the iPhone is plugged in or does it happen even when it isn't? Do you have this problem if you plug in OTHER devices that charge via USB?

For Memtest. I can post the step by step procedure for creating bootable media and the test requirements, if you would like.

miTech_1

Honorable
Mar 10, 2017
That depends. Is your problem happening ONLY when the iPhone is plugged in or does it happen even when it isn't? Do you have this problem if you plug in OTHER devices that charge via USB?

For Memtest. I can post the step by step procedure for creating bootable media and the test requirements, if you would like.
i did the test all good no errors see the result here

i did not plug any USBs in the front side from yesterday and everything is ok so far no crashes

so what do you think the problem, and do you recommend buying new PSU?

If you had no problems so long as you plugged nothing into the front USB ports, then I'd say the problem is either an issue with the front I/O board or ports or wiring, or with one of the devices you are plugging in there, or with a driver for the device you are plugging in there.

It seems unlikely that the PSU would be relevant to a problem that only happens when using the front USB ports.

Reactions: miTech_1

miTech_1

Honorable
Mar 10, 2017
If you had no problems so long as you plugged nothing into the front USB ports, then I'd say the problem is either an issue with the front I/O board or ports or wiring, or with one of the devices you are plugging in there, or with a driver for the device you are plugging in there.

It seems unlikely that the PSU would be relevant to a problem that only happens when using the front USB ports.

thank you. i will look into the wiring and drivers then report back. second day no issues so far with ultra sittings during play sessions i did not face any issues. i did not use the front IO