Question PC shuts off and turns back again on when Windows 10 was loading at "getting devices ready" ?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hi my new pc.

12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73 ( 40-50C in Far Cry 6 )

2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1

RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming

Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 bios F5

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.When new pc booted i enabled in GEAR 1 XMP ( 3600 mhz ). Then i rebooted to UEFI again without issues.

Then i reboot pc again and when windows 10 was loading pc shutts off and turns back on again. And second time it booted to Windows 10 normally. Is my pc fine? Why pc shuts off ( OFF ) and turns back again on first time,when windows 10 was loading ? Pc not rebooted. Pc shuts down and boot itself up. Not typical reboot.

It happened before Windows 10 boot <%>Getting devices ready

Colif

Win 11 Master
I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.
try a reinstall of windows and see if it works better.
trying to swap CPU & MB without reinstalling windows can lead to 3 possibilities
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has problems
  3. it doesn't boot at all

you at step 2.

A clean install also remove drivers and replace them with ones that match hardware

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Yes happened once on first time. So its ok? After Windows 10 is working i tested few games and no issues.

It just shutdown and comes back automatically,once before windows 10. It happened once before Windows 10 boot first time<%>on Getting devices ready

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It happened once in first time. Now its booting fine. So i am asking why it happened once and is my pc fine?

It just shutdown and comes back automatically,once before windows 10. It happened once before Windows 10 boot first time<%>on Getting devices ready

If it was just the one time, you may be fine...

You'd still want to go ahead and properly install the assorted drivers appropriate to your mainboard, vice simply living with whatever Microsoft/Win10/11 installs upon a power on detection... (Assuming gaming is a goal, you might need to consider Win11, as it ostensibly has the appropriate Thread DIrector to direct correct tasking to the mixture of Performance and Efficiency cores, and allegedly performs better with the mixed P/E processors of Alder Lake on WIn11 vice Win10.... or at least, so says conventional wisdom, but there were a handful of early Alder Lake adopters saying Win10 worked just fine, so, ...your call)

3090 Ti...wow! Impressive rig. (Are you playing at 4k?)

Last edited:

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi my new pc.

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.When new pc booted i enabled in GEAR 1 XMP ( 3600 mhz ). Then i rebooted to UEFI again without issues.

Then i reboot pc again and when windows 10 was loading pc shutts off and turns back on again. And second time it booted to Windows 10 normally. Is my pc fine? Why pc shuts off ( OFF ) and turns back again on first time,when windows 10 was loading ? Pc not rebooted. Pc shuts down and boot itself up. Not typical reboot.

It happened before Windows 10 boot <%>Getting devices ready.
But why it shutdown ( i heard a click from psu ) and then reboot itself?comes back automatically

Hi my new pc.

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

It happened before Windows 10 boot <%>Getting devices ready.
But why it shutdown ( i heard a click from psu ) and then reboot itself?comes back automatically
Did this only happen once and now it works fine?
You might want to post the make and model of the psu.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Someone said this to me:"

PSU shouldnt click during software install. If it reboots on its own after PSU shuts down and restarts there is a setting in the BIOS to restart on power failure. May have been a utility problem that was coincidental unless you are running a UPS.

PSU shutting down isnt normal but several reboots while detecting hardware is normal."

So what to think now?

Someone said this to me:"

PSU shouldnt click during software install. If it reboots on its own after PSU shuts down and restarts there is a setting in the BIOS to restart on power failure. May have been a utility problem that was coincidental unless you are running a UPS.

PSU shutting down isnt normal but several reboots while detecting hardware is normal."

So what to think now?
Sounds right.
As I said just keep an eye on things you'll soon figure out if there is a problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be that the drivers on SSD for the old motherboard are conflicting with the bios on the new board and this restart was needed to load right drivers or something.

has it happened again? if not, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

i merged the threads as you already had one thread on subject. No need for two.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
once

It happened after Aorus logo screen,just before windows loaded first time . In moment when windows 10 show GETTING DEVICES READY %. It just turned off <psu click>and rebooted and windows 10 start configuring. Not happened again since.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Someone on geforce.com said that i must rma psu. I am worried. So what now?

"

Sora

"its the psu buddy, i told you it'd start to behave like this ages ago. your psu cannot handle the startup currents without registering an overload event."

What is registered overload event?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi pc:
12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73
SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE
Seasonic Px 1300W Platinum Prime

When Windows 10 was loading first time on new motherboard ,pc shutts off ( heard psu click ) and turns back on again. And second time it booted normally to Getting Devices Ready %.

Just before moment when windows 10 show GETTING DEVICES READY %. It just turned off <psu click>and rebooted and windows 10 start configuring. Not happened again since.

https://i.postimg.cc/66cDdKgz/Sketch.png

Is this ok?

Last edited:
It's "probably" ok, but if you notice ANY other unusual symptoms, I'd immediately recommend doing a clean install of Windows. And in light of that, it would be a really good idea to make sure anything important on the drive is backed up to another location NOW, so that if something does happen you do not have to worry about losing any important personal files or folders.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I ask because my first motherboard was faulty. Whenever i turn it on all the leds and fans turn on for a half second then turn back off again, repeat forever. I cleared CMOS battery. Unplugged GPU. Removed 1 stick memory the same.

My friend come with hes mobo Z690 and all parts working fine with hes mobo. So i went to shop and they exchanged me Aorus Elite Z690 to other example and second motherboard booted fine.

So thats why i ask. Is that psu/shutdown ( psu click ) and reboot on new motherboard just before windows 10 was loading was somehow related ,that i have second motherboard faulty,or its completetly different thing?thx

Actually pc working fine.

Just my first motherboard ( that before exchange ) dont wanna boot. It stuck with boot loop. ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF. And psu was clicking too.

But new motherboard booted fine and its ok fine?

If it's working fine, then it's fine. What else could you want? It was probably either just a bad board, or it didn't like the memory you have installed, or something along those lines. If it's working fine now then unless you have additional problems I wouldn't think there is anything to worry about BUT I would STILL make sure you back up anything important, now, just to be safe. Important files should ALWAYS be kept backed up to at least two locations, and three would be a lot better, so you don't risk losing anything important. Whether that is to another internal drive, or an external drive, or optical discs, or some cloud storage, whatever, because when REAL problems happen you usually don't get the chance to try and back them up once there is already trouble.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
That bad board was the same model. Actually have the same model just other example.
So thats why i ask. Is that psu/shutdown ( psu click ) and reboot on new motherboard just before windows 10 was loading was somehow related ,that i have second motherboard faulty,or its completetly different thing?thx