Question PC Shuts off mid-game, no error codes..please help?

Sep 4, 2019
My pc has been shutting off in the middle of gaming quite frequently lately. Today it was while playing Rainbow Six Siege. I can hear the case fans rev up and it immediately shuts off. The fans don't stay revved up like with a temp issue they rev up and within 0.5 sec the computer is off. It does not restart but will turn back on when I click the power button with normal startup and no error codes. I did notice this time i got a Radeon setting pop up that said some settings had reverted or defaulted due to the shutdown. When it happens again ill try to get it word for word. Since the problem began i've sprayed my pc out with compressed air to clean out any dust and debris. Looked at all fans (2 case, 2 gpu, 1 cpu, 1 psu) and all fans are running smoothly. I've been monitoring my cpu temp using coretemp and idling it stays in the mid to low 40's C, and get in 60's while gaming. After turning my pc back on after the most recent crash it was around 56C. The issue doesn't seem to happen when watching netflix but instead during games like Apex Legends, and Rainbow Six Siege.

I ran a 1080 benchmark test on my GPU using Furmark: SCORE:2725 points (45 FPS, 60000 ms) Max GPU Temp: 76°C
and was able to hear the fans adjusting as the temp rose. I ran a CPU benchmark using CPU-Z Multithread (8) 1570.00 (multithread ratio (6.48), Single thread 242.5.

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8- Core
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws (8gb x 2 sticks) DDR3
HDD: SAMSUNG HD642JJ 640GB
GPU: Saphire Dual-X R9 280 OC 3gb GDDR5
PSU: Corsair CX 600

Whats my next step in trying to figure this whole thing out? Should I stress test my CPU and or GPU? Should I take it somewhere and have my PSU current checked?

Do you have a spare PSU ? If you do, test with it, or you can try to borrow it from somebody else. I strongly think PSU is the main culprit here. Don't mind me saying, your PSU is a garbage one.

What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:
•bad 3D performance
•crashing games
•spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
•freezing during gameplay
•PSU overload can cause it to break down

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Yeah its the same PSU ive had since i built my original budget system hahaha i put the cheapest stuff i could get into it to run steam games. I can use a family members to test probably. However since posting this ive successfully ran a few games of smite with no issues (Havent played it since this started so its never crashed on it) but it has crashed on apex and siege, with it crashing on siege right before i made the orignial post earlier. Im not sure if that changes anything being its a less graphically intense game? I see you mentioned the PSU coping with the load, Could it be that my GPU is eating up more power using the other games causing a higher load than the PSU can handle?

Well, its not about the wattage of the PSU, but about the quality of the PSU. In general a decent PSU of 600W is more than enough for your system. But that is not the case with CX series of PSU's from Corsair.

You just need a decent PSU of XFX, Seasonic, EVGA, if you were to find the real problem. Good luck.

May 4, 2019
Bad omens. Had same problems before my r9 280x shorted memory vrm and let the magic smoke out. Basically card will fry its memory. Clean up gpu and if possible, downclock/downvolt gpu memory just a tad. It wont affect gaming more than 1-3 fps but keeps card from killing itself. (wish i knew this 2 years ago)