PC shuts off on startup.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieMeister2

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Duplicate of http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3074383/shuts-windows-startup.html#18052031

Hello friends, recently my PC started to shut off. At first, pc was shutting down while I was gaming, some random smell appears and it shuts off. But now, things are much worse. It doesn't want to even start the windows. It goes to windows logo and shuts off. I think it's my PSU, but I want to know your opinions or experiences. Also my CPU, GPU and RAM temperature is completely fine.

My PC specs:

AMD Athlon II x250 3.0 GHz Dual core
4 gigs of RAM
Gigabyte Radeon R7 240 2GD3
500 GB HDD
400W PSU

CookieM

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014

Are you sure it's the motherboard? I want to think it's something else because the motherboard apparently does POST (if it starts to go into Windows, but it then fails and turns off). It could be the motherboard and most likely is, I'm just puzzled because when I've had motherboards fail they either work or they don't, but never symptoms like that.

There's no reason to think the motherboard over the PSU when it fails in the BIOS. What kind of motherboard is it? Your PSU is pretty bad, and whether it's the culprit or not, it should be replaced. It is possibly the cause and could take out other hardware if it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.