PC shuts off randomly when playing fortnite

May 25, 2018
A few months ago my PC would randomly shut off and then I finally realized that it would only shut off when Fortnite was running. Upon realizing this I immediately re-installed the game and the issue was resolved for a month or two. Recently the problem returned and I have tried to reinstall the game again multiple times to no avail. My computer would just shutoff sometime between the loading screen or the battle bus. When the computer turns off I have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in to turn my pc back on. I monitored the temps during all this and my idle pc is 45c-50c but when I load into game my temps drop to 40c. So I am unsure whether this is a heating issue or not.

My specs are:
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
AMD FX- 8350
2x G. Skill 8gb DDR3 PC3-10700 Ram
MSI GTX 960 2gb
Thermaltake 750w 80 plusgold psu.

Solution

That's nothing. I mean, it's basically saying some advance CPU power management features aren't available for Windows to leverage in order to reduce power consumption. I've seen this event before, it's typical.

If there was ever a fix, it would be included in a BIOS update. That, or you explicitly disabled certain CPU features in BIOS in order to improve performance. Again however, nothing to worry about.

Kenton82

Reputable
Everything including your GPU clean and free from dust? What are you using to monitor your temps? Check you have latest GPU drivers, and all your game O/S is up to date. The CPU temp doesn't normally go DOWN when loading a game, which makes me question the monitoring software.

May 25, 2018

Yeah I cleaned the dust out like two weeks ago, the problem actually returned after I updated windows 10. I am using AMD overdrive to monitor temps. The game is updated.

May 25, 2018
May 25, 2018

My friends were saying it was a psu issue as well, but I just think its strange that when I initially had this problem and I reinstalled the game it was fixed plus only one game causes my pc to shut off, not any others.

stdragon

Admirable

If it's Windows saying it's shutting down, then that's a software initiated event. If it "shutdown" to the likes of outright pulling the power cable from it, then it's an electronic issue.

As for a games specific issue - it's possible the GPU is pulling more current from the PSU than any other times and causing the PSU to "trip" or fault. Hence, complete loss of power. And the only way to reset that is to pull AC cable, and drain flea power. So yeah, PSU or MB most likely.

May 25, 2018

"Your motherboard has a 3+1 power phase and that is a no-go for FX 8350, you probably shut down due to vrm overheathing under load." is another answer i got from another forum

May 25, 2018

In my event viewer it says i am getting event id 35 and 41, 35 says that, "Performance power management features on processor 7 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

stdragon

Admirable

That's nothing. I mean, it's basically saying some advance CPU power management features aren't available for Windows to leverage in order to reduce power consumption. I've seen this event before, it's typical.

If there was ever a fix, it would be included in a BIOS update. That, or you explicitly disabled certain CPU features in BIOS in order to improve performance. Again however, nothing to worry about.

Solution