PC Shuts off when gaming but its not Temp related!

TonyP92

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hey guys so ever since I built my pc, everytime I play a game like Civ 5, Dragon Age, Saints Row, etc, it will shut off. Of course I suspected this to be from overheating of the CPU so i got a 3rd party heatsink. And yet again, it shut off.

I was playing Civ 5 for about an hour or so, and I had it in windowed mode with SpeedFan next to it to monitor my temps and last temps I noticed before the shut down was--

CPU:39
GPU:41

My only conclusion is that it has to the the PSU. But before I commit on getting another PSU, can anyone confirm this is the problem and if it is the PSU, what are some really good Reliable/affordable ones. Thanks again guys.

Here is my Specs for you guys.

MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Heatsink: Cryorig H7
GPU: 750ti
PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze

ahmyday

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
If it isn't a temperature related issue, it must be something to do with the PSU exactly which EVGA model are you using?

Here are some options if you need to buy a new PSU

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 80+ GOLD

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Continuous-Crossfire-220-GS-0550-V1/dp/B00UVN20UO

Seasonic S12II 520 80+ BRONZE

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-S12II-520-BRONZE-SS-520GB/dp/B00390P1NO

Cooler Master V550 80+ GOLD

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V550-Compact-Generation/dp/B00IFQSO68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448779769&sr=8-1&keywords=coolermaster+v550

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Could be the psu, could be the motherboard. There's other areas of the motherboard that do get hot, especially after long periods of gaming abuse. If you had a shutdown, first place to check would be windows events, you'll be looking for the critical error that caused the shutdown. That'll give you some place to start looking for answers.

TonyP92

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

As I said it wasn't long term i was only playing for an hour. And i check the Event Viewer I got a Kernel error 41

TonyP92

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Kernel 41 errors are usually voltage related. Most times its voltage to the cpu is too low. This can be caused by several things, some of which are crappy psu output, failing psu, bad voltage from source. The last is a good place to start. If the pc is plugged into a power strip, get rid of it, plug directly to a wall outlet, no extention cords of any sort. If the pc is already on a wall outlet, check the outlet for age or looseness. While punishing the pc, check the voltage in the outlet. If all that's good, then the psu is more than likely the culprit.

In this case, the evga600b isn't that great a psu. Mediocre at best, but more than capable by a long way in powering a 750ti system.

Kernel 41 errors can also be Ram related. I'd also bump dram voltage by 0.05v.

TonyP92

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

I know its not the Outlet since ive moved this pc in different rooms in my apartment. and it has always done this on Civ 5