Question Pc shuts off when launching game

darkcreeper61

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
Hi,

I built this computer around late august and it was working fine for 2 weeks, but then it started crashing every time I launched a "heavy" game such as rdr2, shadow of the tomb raider, farcry 5, etc.

Usually, it goes like this -) launch the game -) turns off after a few seconds, minutes depending on the game -) pc can’t start again unless I hit the 1/O switch on the power supply. It then starts fine with the lights lighting up in this order (yellow for a quick second, red, white, green). NOTE: I’ve tried enabling v sync and it allowed me to play Farcry 5 for half an hour without the computer crashing, it didn’t work the next day tho.
The pc shuts off completely. I didn’t install any specific software or some new hardware that could make it behave like this, ----- just started out of nowhere.

Specs :
amd ryzen 3700x
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2 x 8 Go) DDR4 3600
Corsair rm650
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 (1 To)
NZXT H510

During the past few weeks I’ve tried :
  1. Removing overclock on every component
  2. Tried to see in the windows crash reports what caused the crash (didn’t mention anything besides windows stopped working)
  3. Cranking every fan to full speed (CPU Temps are under 50°C most of the time)

I’m guessing it might be coming from the power supply since enabling vsync uses less power and it could explain why I was able to play farcry 5 for 30minutes but again I have no ----- idea what causes this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated xx

Mod Edit: Watch your language

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,

What you describe, likely points to a PSU issue. Although, normally if it's PSU related, it's random restarts, where the PC boots up straight away. Though not always. But, most of the time it happens when the system is at load (gaming etc)

Your PSU is a really good one. But even they can fail sometimes. Best bet is to swap it out if you have a spare. If not, bring to a local repair store, and paying maybe 20£$€ to get them to swap out and test your system. Alternatively, buy a new one, or if your current one is still under warranty (which it should be - I think they have a 7 or 10 year warranty) and get it replaced.