Question PC shuts self off, PSU needs to cycle to start again, but PSU is new, MOBO is current suspect

Aug 3, 2024
The Issue: PC shuts off on its own, will sometimes restart normally but only run for a minute before shutting off again, sometimes wont even reach boot. and eventually wont try to turn on at all. will not attempt to turn on again until PSU is turned off and back on. The weirdest thing is how long the PSU stays off can dictate how long the PC stays on when it finally boots up again. after being unplugged for a week I recently got about 3 days of run time with no issues. Currently on it again after about a week of off time.

The PC: It was an iBuypower prebuilt bought in 2016. since then I have replaced the MOBO, PSU x2, HDD/SSD, GPU, and the RAM. The only parts still original are the CPU, CPU cooling, and the case. I understand that this is an old CPU and could also be an issue.

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G 1.1 (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD)
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: x2 WD_BLACK SN850x 1TB m.2 drives

not sure what the CPU cooling is, but it is water cooling, and I am aware that its age means it probably isn't doing much, but overheating does not seem to be my issue for these shutdowns. I've monitored temps during shut downs and they are nowhere high enough.

The m.2 drives are brand new, got them right after the new PSU but before the new RAM. Nothing from previous drives were moved over everything is fresh installs. (I accidentally killed the old drives in an act of brain malfunction)

To better understand why I believe my MOBO is a suspect, back in may this problem started, I concluded my PSU was the culprit, and so I replaced it. for about 2 weeks the issue was gone, but it came back, after fiddling with my ram I concluded that one of the sticks was dying/dead and after removing it the problem went away again, and I got 2 new ram sticks.
fast forward not even 2 months later, beginning of July it comes back. My running theory is maybe the ram slots are the issue because no matter where I have them in it still happens when it happens. but because its tied to how long things have been unplugged I am thoroughly confused. I have never encountered an issue that goes away with new hardware then comes back later. I have never seen this before either and none of the posts I've found online have a working solution.

If I had spare hardware lying around to test with I would but because the PC turns on normally and the problem happens later I feel like even that would be hard to do.

I have looked through event viewer with no luck finding events tied to when it shut itself off. (I may be missing them if you have suggestions, I have used the 41,1074,6006,6605,6008 events but no luck.)

I am not even sure if this is the right place to put a post like this but its all I got.