Question Pc shutsdown when bumped due to gpu

Nov 28, 2019
So after troubleshooting and reading posts of similar problems I think my gpu is the culprit, unfortunately. It was bought in Aug 2019 so it is relatively new. Radeon rx 5700 XT.

How I figured it's my gpu? Everytime there's a shake or vibration of my case for eg from me hitting the keys on the keyboard too hard, my pc shutsdown. I initially thought it to be my power supply and did all the troubleshooting.

Finally I removed my gpu from the pcie and switched on my pc. I then shake my pc in everyway and the power stayed on, the pc did not shutdown.

Now my question, what do I do? Due to this covid issue I'm not gonna be able to RMA my gpu anytime soon. I think it might be my fault as I did not fasten a screw onto the bracket at the end of the gpu and just left it in the pcie slot vertically. Normally I think that wouldn't be a problem but I travel alot with my dan a4 case. Anyhow imma try to find a screw to fasten it to the bracket after this and see how it goes.

Any other suggestions will be helpful 🙏🏻

Ralston18

Titan
Find the screw and tighten down the GPU.

Do be sure that the screw is correctly threaded for the hole.

Test first.

What that means is that before you install the GPU put the screw into the hole and tighten it down first. Not too tight but just enough to ensure that the screw threads in and out easily.

Remove the screw, install the GPU in the slot, then reinstall the screw. The screw should go in smoothly and easily.

Reactions: CubicFrog
Nov 28, 2019
Find the screw and tighten down the GPU.

Do be sure that the screw is correctly threaded for the hole.

Test first.

What that means is that before you install the GPU put the screw into the hole and tighten it down first. Not too tight but just enough to ensure that the screw threads in and out easily.

Remove the screw, install the GPU in the slot, then reinstall the screw. The screw should go in smoothly and easily.

Thanks for replying. I did it all before reading this. And it worked. Phew. Cheers mate!