[SOLVED] PC shutting down and rebooting or freezing

Jul 26, 2021
MSI MPG x570 gaming edge wifi.
Ryzen 9 3900XT.
2x 8GB gskill RAM DDR 4.
EVGA GTX1080TI.
750w PSU no brand name on it. going to be replaced with a corsair 750w icue PSU next month
WD 500GB HDD boot drive.
samsung QVO 870 1Tb sata SSD game storage.
corsair icue H100i elite capellix cooler.

did a PC rebuild last month. used to have a Asus prime B350 plus, ryzen 5 1600x. everything was working fine. 1st upgrade attempt i bought an asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 and a Ryzen 9 3900 XT. temp in the whole system were hitting 95C and shutting down my PC even at idle.
Ive built several PC over the years and never had probs like this before.
Put the Asus back in temps were fine again but PC started shutting down when i tried to play 2 games Euro truck sim 2 and american truck sim. other games work fine. no overheating. as i play them in VR and Oculus did an update i thought it might of been that causing it. so tried without VR and it still did it.
Bought the MSI board and put that in temps fine but still turned the PC off when i tried to play those 2 games. reverted back to the B350 and ryzen 5 still doing it.

Ran several hardware checkers all came back nothing wrong. stress tests showed everything working fine and temps not going over 50c. Latest BIOS as i flashed it to the latest version for the MB. software checkers showed i had all the latest and best drivers. Game verification showed everything is fine.

Event viewer showed an SLUI.EXE error. fixed that by getting a new windows key as the old 1 went through KMS host and im not part of an organistion so it was stopping windows registration. still didnt fix the Shutdown problem. used ccleaner to check registry and found a gigabye engine and i dont have any gigabye parts in my PC that says ive got a Gigabyte A320 board when i havnt never had 1 on my current rig.. removed it from registry and its gone straight back in again.

I did have several updates just before the problem started with no roll back options, windows, oculus rift S, NVIDIA and Logitech hub for the G920 steering wheel.
Im getting kernal error 41 from when the PC shuts down and reboots from those games but not any other times.

Im going to try a clean install of windows later when i get a new M.2 SSD to go on the MB to see if that fixes it but that will take about 2 months to save up for.. and the new PSU just incase its a PSU problem but cant see why if its PSU why its only those 2 games. want a new PSU anyway as mine is about 10 years old and not modular and i need more SATA power cables as not enough on the old 1. its only got 5 and i need 7 so cant connect up 1 of my HDD and my DVD RW.

I did connect up the other HHD which has got a clean install of windows on it but thats gone into an endless repair cycle and wont boot up into windows. been trying that for about 4 years now lol so just puled the SATA cable out to use on something else.

Contacted SCS the devs for both games for help and they said its most likely a Software or driver issue rather than hardware. neither game has created a crash log to check any probs there since march. ATS hasnt even created a game log since march but ETS 2 has made game logs from the last 2 times i tried to play it and no errors in there.

Im thinking it has something to do with the asrock MB i put in as the problems started after i tried that MB and havnt been able to fix it by replacing the MB. or with the Gigabyte engine thats like a virus and refuses to stay deleted.

Your power supply sounds suspect. A quick bit of reading says the 1080ti required a minimum 600 watt unit. If you have been running your power supply a while and then added a 3900X to it, you are probably pushing what the power supply can do. May need to reinstall the ASRock and clean install as mentioned. Myself, I have an ASRock AB350 Pro 4 that I've had a couple of years and updated to a Ryzen 5 3600 and it's just fine. I sold my one system to someone that had the micro ATX version of the same board with a Ryzen 5 1600 as well. So I don't think ASRock is a bad brand. They aren't as high end as other brands, but I've got no complaints.

As far as PSU, replace that ASAP. I've once had a cheaper power supply I'd bought take out ports on a motherboard. And since it sounds as though you are already at the limit of what a quality unit would be you don't want to kill off your cpu or gpu, especially given current gpu prices and you have a 1080ti, which is aging, but still a powerhouse.

Jul 26, 2021
PSU calculators say 600w is all i need for the entire system some say 500w is fine. but thats also calculating the next lot of upgrades ill be putting in as and when money is available. but to be safe ill put in a 750 the same as ive got now. but a modular 1 and branded. as it is now it only needs about 500w acroding to the PSU calcultors ive used and i used about 20 diff ones. even though the box for the GPU does say 600w minimum.
But maybe those 2 games use more GPU power than the other games. might have to scrap my plans for a 750w and go for something with more power though. wanted the corsair icue 750w cause it fits in with the rest of the icue lighting ive got and they only do 750w ones

think the asrock board might of caused PSU probs as it was a faulty board. put it in switched on and temps on the MB shot up to 95c and caused other temps to go through the roof as well. everything went back to normal when i took it out and put my old board back in. except those 2 games causing the PC to turn off which they didnt do before i put the asrock in.

Jul 26, 2021
Whenever you do a motherboard upgrade it is highly advisable to do a clean windows installation.

Windows 10 clean install tutorial

You have 2 disks, the WD 500Gb boot drive and your Samsung QVO 870 1Tb SATA SSD, correct? Are you still using the WD HDD to boot from? Does the WD have any hardware errors on it?
ive done lots of MB replacements over the years and never had to reinstall windows and never had any probs before. last time i tried to do a clean install of windowss after an upgrade the PC wouldnt boot up at all just went into an endless repair cycle on a brand new HDD. put the old HDD back in with windows on it from the old MB it worked fine.
No errors on the HDD. 0 fragementation as windows does that auto. the SSD is 50% fragmented though but no OS on there just games.

Just ordered a new PSU it will arrive in a couple of days to see if thats sorts out the prob. cheap budget 1 as its all i can afford at the mo. gamemax 1050w 80+ gold modular. if not ill have to wait till i have enough money to get an M.2 SSD and install windows on that and make that my boot drive. Just have to avoid playing the games causing the PC to shut down or freeze. till i find the problem.

ive done lots of MB replacements over the years and never had to reinstall windows and never had any probs before. last time i tried to do a clean install of windowss after an upgrade the PC wouldnt boot up at all just went into an endless repair cycle on a brand new HDD. put the old HDD back in with windows on it from the old MB it worked fine.
No errors on the HDD. 0 fragementation as windows does that auto. the SSD is 50% fragmented though but no OS on there just games.

Just ordered a new PSU it will arrive in a couple of days to see if thats sorts out the prob. cheap budget 1 as its all i can afford at the mo. gamemax 1050w 80+ gold modular. if not ill have to wait till i have enough money to get an M.2 SSD and install windows on that and make that my boot drive. Just have to avoid playing the games causing the PC to shut down or freeze. till i find the problem.
Good luck.

Hopefully the gamemax is ok, or at least overrated enough to do the job. PSU calculators might be fine, but power supplies do tend to age and sometimes as they age they can’t put out the same power they did before. So if your power supply is a marginal unit, too much load can push them over the edge.