Question PC shutting down and rebooting without warning

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello,

I (more or less experienced PC Builder) build a completely new PC running for nearly a year without any issues. Last Month I swapped the GPU from RTX 3080 Srupim X (it way only borrowed) to an Asus Strix 3080 (completly new).

Last Weekend I had the time to really "stress out" the system and try my new UWQHD display (before I did only some benchmarks and started Cyberpunk for some minutes on my old UWHD Display).
After playing 1h the PC just turned off (with really short BSOD) and turned on again. When I wanted to start the game again, it shuts down directly on the loading screen (without BS). I waited some hours and it worked again for 30min on graphic intensive tasks, then it crashed again (Mostly wihtout BS it just shut off).

So I thought the new GPU was faulty, but yesterday I copied 130GB to an external SSD and it shut down again.

Nor the less I took the GPU today to a fellow student and put it into a diffrent system and nothing crashed or shut down.

My System:
Asus Strix RTX 3080
Ryze 5900X
Asus Strix B550 E Gaming
Corsiar Vengance RGB 3200MHz 4x8 GB
Corsair SF750 PSU
M.2 PCIe 4 WD black sn850
2x SSDs
Some Corsair Fans

Things i tried:
  • System Recovery Point loaded from a time before I changed the GPU (~1 Month ago)
  • Removed Asus Aura RGB Software
  • Set UEFI back to default (Before there was DOCP Enabled and some minor changes)
  • Tried the old Display I had before
  • Plugged PC directly to into the Wall

Do you have more Ideas what I could try to determine the problem?

I really appreciate your help and thank you in advance

PS:
After the GPU swap and before the "stress test" I moved the System to my new place with a car. But I was extremely carefully I doubt this is the problem.
Also, I forgot my PSU Cable at my old place and use a different one from a TV, but this should not matter right?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Also, I forgot my PSU Cable at my old place and use a different one from a TV, but this should not matter right?
You're referring to the rear IEC cable that's necessary to connect to the wall outlet? Might want to state/show what the cable looks like now.

Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing the older GPU, before you dropped in the new GPU and later installing the latest Nvidia driver manually, in an elevated command?

FYI, a year of using an RTX3080 on a 750W will cause some form of degradation resulting in lower power output from the PSU, meaning it might not have enough juice for the entire platform with the new card.

So I thought the new GPU was faulty, but yesterday I copied 130GB to an external SSD and it shut down again.
Please elaborate.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You also forgot to mention the make and model of the chassis.

Reactions: gogowe and kurdtnz

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
You're referring to the rear IEC cable that's necessary to connect to the wall outlet?
Yes exactly, It look the same and have a decent cable diameter

Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing the older GPU, before you dropped in the new GPU and later installing the latest Nvidia driver manually, in an elevated command?
Yes but after the GPU swap and not in elevated command. I Could try this again

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You also forgot to mention the make and model of the chassis.
I will check the version when I am at home but it is not the newest one. I update sometime end 2021.
You mean my case? Lian Li o11 dynamic mini
The Air Flow is good and there nothing is overheating if you refering to that.

FYI, a year of using an RTX3080 on a 750W will cause some form of degradation
You think so? I have not used it extremely often only some gaming and 3d rendering on weekends. Also HWInfo shows that I use 330W GPU + 120W CPU when playing games. Also like I said it shuts off even when i copy some files

Please elaborate.
Yesterday when I was sure it have to be the new GPU I only wanted to start the system to copy Cyberpunk to an M.2 Portable SSD and try it on a different system. While coping the system shut down (nothing else was open). After I reset the UEFI Setting and plugged the portable m. 2 SSD into a different USB port, I started the System again and tried to copy the files. Worked good so I tried to use the PC as always (copied some files, started chrome, etc..) everything worked, until I doublie clicked a program it shut down again. After this shutdown the system always BSODs after booting into Windows 10. Since then I did not try to boot the system up again

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
I will check the version when I am at home but it is not the newest one. I update sometime end 2021.
It is Version 2423 with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C . I wanted to update to the newest one with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6 but after some research it sounds like this version is not as stable as ist should be.