[SOLVED] Pc Shutting down and restarting

Feb 12, 2021
Hi All, Perhaps you can all give me some help.... I have built a gaming rig (spec below), the issue is when I game or run Heaven Benchmark the PC just switches off and then restarts.

Also weirdly, when I run Fortnite and change the 3d Resolution to 100% and full screen mode, again the PC turns off and restarts, when I had a TV plugged in it didn't do this but does with my new monitor, the assumption here is the monitor can handle a higher res which is asking more of the GPU and in turn more of the PSU.

I have two suspicions and was hoping someone on here could confirm them or point me in the right direction.

Suspicion 1: Although I have an 800w PSU, it does not have the correct 8pin adaptors so I had to use adapters to modify them - Is the GPU trying to draw too much power and the PSU is not providing it?

Suspicion 2: On the GPU there is a solid white light above the 8 pin port, should this be on? I have plugged in the 8 pin lead (which had different shaped holes to the GPU) and the light is off, however if I remove this lead, the PC stops booting after start-up screen and says please plug in power lead into your graphics card.

Hoping someone can either ask more questions to find the issue or help me further, thanks.

Spec

Intel i7-9700F
Asus Prime B360M-K
2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
1x M.2 NVME 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080
Sumvision Power X3 Pro 800W
Dell U2719D Monitor

Solution
pcie 6 pin provide up to 75w, 8 pin up to 150w. the motherboard slot up to 75w

gtx 1080 use up to 180w during game.

replace that psu first.
Feb 12, 2021
a 800w psu with only 1 6 pin? yeah. junk.
for new system don't get a junk psu.

Thanks for replying :) Sorry think of me as a bit of a novice, do you think the PSU is the issue then?

This is what the PSU comes with can you please tell me what is wrong with it so I know and cannot make the same mistake twice..

Power X3 Pro Spec
SATA Connectors4
Molex connectors1
4 pin CPU connector1
24 pin power connector1
floppy drive connector1
PCI Express1

And the one im considering going for

Antec 700W Plus VP700P

1 x MB 24(20+4) Pin
1 x 8(4+4) Pin EPS 12V
4 x 8(6+2) Pin PCI-E
7 x SATA
2 x Molex
1 x FDD

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 12, 2021
Hey listen, you are from what I can see a 'moderator' so have a bit of patience, I am asking for help, I have not been rude and so comments like 'you get what you paid for' are not needed. I was given the PSU so I did not pay for it, I am not a wealthy person and am trying to make a gaming rig for my children.

I think its quite clear what I meant by 'come with' as I posted the connections below, I was asking what CONNECTIONS does the PSU need to come with for it to be the one I need.

Please bear in mind that not everyone may be as technically minded as you and what is obvious to you is not to others.

Thanks for help so far!

rgd1101

Don't
'you get what you paid for'
that not rude. just telling you it is a cheap junk. personally will not use that on a good gaming system. probably not even on a basic system

gpu need the pcie. 1 of the following
4 x 8(6+2) Pin PCI-E

motherboard need the 24pin 1 x MB 24(20+4) Pin
and the 8pin 1 x 8(4+4) Pin EPS 12V

unless you thinking about upgrading in the future. a good 600w should be enough.

Feb 12, 2021
Excellent, and sorry if I misunderstood you....

So im guessing the ANTEC one above will be fine, do you think the PSU could be what's causing the restarts?

Im praying its not the GPU

DSzymborski

Titan
Just to clarify, the problem isn't just with what comes with the PSU, but what the PSU is. The Sumvision isn't really an 800W PSU; in a best-case scenario, with any PC built since the Pentium III era, it's not even a 500W PSU because the theoretical maximum of +12V power is 468W (and even less than that in practice).

That's a very big red flag and every competent PSU you can buy today will be able to provide +12V power nearly or to its stated total wattage. When it doesn't, it's invariably a cheap, low-quality PSU, that is missing key safety features and with very low-quality capacitors and the like. '

From a decade around here, I can tell you that there are few things more expensive than a cheap PSU; the number of people coming here who have turned their expensive components into recycling center visitors is well into the thousands. So, we take PSU issues very seriously to try and keep people from joining that group. In addition, adapters of this type are never recommended because they're a common source of fires.

Given the issues you're already having, this isn't one of the cases of a low-quality PSU slowly killing a GPU, but one in which the PSU is trying to kil it right now. We treat this as urgent when a PSU is of a quality level that expensive equipment should never even be turned on with it. That's the category of this one.

Feb 12, 2021
Just to clarify, the problem isn't just with what comes with the PSU, but what the PSU is. The Sumvision isn't really an 800W PSU; in a best-case scenario, with any PC built since the Pentium III era, it's not even a 500W PSU because the theoretical maximum of +12V power is 468W (and even less than that in practice).

That's a very big red flag and every competent PSU you can buy today will be able to provide +12V power nearly or to its stated total wattage. When it doesn't, it's invariably a cheap, low-quality PSU, that is missing key safety features and with very low-quality capacitors and the like. '

From a decade around here, I can tell you that there are few things more expensive than a cheap PSU; the number of people coming here who have turned their expensive components into recycling center visitors is well into the thousands. So, we take PSU issues very seriously to try and keep people from joining that group. In addition, adapters of this type are never recommended because they're a common source of fires.

Given the issues you're already having, this isn't one of the cases of a low-quality PSU slowly killing a GPU, but one in which the PSU is trying to kil it right now. We treat this as urgent when a PSU is of a quality level that expensive equipment should never even be turned on with it. That's the category of this one.
Thank you so much for this.....I ma turning the PC off and waiting for the ANTEC to arrive tomorrow.....2 further questions have now popped up though

1. Will any damage have already been done, how can i tell
  2. I am going to replace my B360M-K with MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON - This new board has CPU connectors of 8+4 but I am assured that unless I am overclocking (which I wont be) that the extra 4 pins wont be needed so the new ANTEC I am buying should suffice?

Thanks for all your help so far 🆒

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you so much for this.....I ma turning the PC off and waiting for the ANTEC to arrive tomorrow.....2 further questions have now popped up though

1. Will any damage have already been done, how can i tell
  2. I am going to replace my B360M-K with MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON - This new board has CPU connectors of 8+4 but I am assured that unless I am overclocking (which I wont be) that the extra 4 pins wont be needed so the new ANTEC I am buying should suffice?
Thanks for all your help so far 🆒

1. Can't really tell. The hope is that there isn't.
  2. The extra four pins are only really needed for extreme overclocking. The 8-pin connector is rated well above 300W. You won't touch that even with any traditional overclocking. But when people are experimenting with LN2 and getting insane clocks, the wattage can get nuts very quickly. When Der8auer overclocked an i9 7980XE to 6 GHz a few years ago, it was over 1000 watts!

Feb 12, 2021
  1. Can't really tell. The hope is that there isn't.
  2. The extra four pins are only really needed for extreme overclocking. The 8-pin connector is rated well above 300W. You won't touch that even with any traditional overclocking. But when people are experimenting with LN2 and getting insane clocks, the wattage can get nuts very quickly. When Der8auer overclocked an i9 7980XE to 6 GHz a few years ago, it was over 1000 watts!
Wow ok!! Cool so the board will work with me just using the 8 pin connector, that’s a relief!

Heres hoping the Antec VP700P does the job!