PC shutting down suddenly when under program pressure after case transfer

brokenbutton

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello everyone, I am in a pickle. Last night I switched my hardware over to a new desktop case. Everything was great till I decided to play video games and after 10 minutes, my desktop shut off like the power had been cut and rebooted like normal. At this point now, all my error lights flicker on when it reboots or when I reboot it.

Now I have done a lengthy list of things already to ensure some things out of the way. I completely disassembled the case and reset the connections of my hardware. I checked the mounts to see if there was one too many (there was not). I bought new RAM and ran a memtest on the old, there are no issues there. My temperatures are very reasonable: cpu is 26-30c on idle and 45-50c on load. GPU is a bit high with 35c on idle and 55-60c on load. Motherboard is almost the same as the CPU. I went into Bios to check my voltages, nothing was out of the ordinary at all. All voltages stayed constant and at reasonable ranges (https://imgur.com/VBXhQcu) except the CPU voltage that fluctuates from 1.2 to 1.208 every now and then... I am also running a Prime95 test on the blend option and after 26 minutes I see no issues, but I will let it run longer. (I also did a HeavyLoad on my CPU only and it ran without any issues as well).

I have tested the shut down times on two different games and those do have something to do with it. AC Odyssey shut down my desktop in 5 minutes flat while FFXIV shut down in 10 to 15 minutes. My desktop will sit on forever while in idle/low activity without any issues.

The only thing I found out of the ordinary was when I checked the event logs, I found only but one error near the time of shut down. The error had to do with the COM Server not accepting an application? Which is pushing me towards a cmos reset, but I want to be 100% sure. (https://i.imgur.com/iFetH5s.png).

Edit: sorry specs

EVGA 850 G3 supernova
i5 6600k Skylake
32 GB RAM
MSI Z170A PRO MOBO
GeForce GTX 1060
lots of storage.

Solution
First, make sure you have the most recent motherboard bios installed.

Then, reset the bios by unplugging power, remove the CMOS battery for five minutes, then reinstall the CMOS battery and restore power to the system.

Go into the bios and set the default settings option. Then configure any custom bios settings you need to like custom fan profiles. Do not load a previously saved bios configuration profile, at least not for now. Try the system and see if the problem remains.

If it does, I'd do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers by first running the DDU in safe mode and choosing the Nvidia option and then installing the latest drivers.
First, make sure you have the most recent motherboard bios installed.

Then, reset the bios by unplugging power, remove the CMOS battery for five minutes, then reinstall the CMOS battery and restore power to the system.

Go into the bios and set the default settings option. Then configure any custom bios settings you need to like custom fan profiles. Do not load a previously saved bios configuration profile, at least not for now. Try the system and see if the problem remains.

If it does, I'd do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers by first running the DDU in safe mode and choosing the Nvidia option and then installing the latest drivers.

Solution