[SOLVED] PC shutting down while gaming

Jan 3, 2020
My PC had been restarting and now shutting down ( no bsod ) randomly while gaming starting around the time I got the win 10 ver 1909 update. Now I am back to 1903. That being said, I now wonder if it is the psu or mobo as i have done a reinstall of windows. My GTX driver is up to date via Geforce Experince. I really only play Cod WWII and Jedi Fallen order, Jedi is worse for my issues. I have since put back in my old GPU's, I was running and evga gtx 960 4gb then changed it out for my old GTX 760's I replaced back in August to see if it is a GPU issue. Now its shutting down instead of restarting. No overclocking. I have prime95 and the cpu can go on and on at 100% and no restarts or shutdowns. I have done window memory diagnostic. A customer support person from EA told me I was using an original bios and Dxdiag does say this BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (type: BIOS) but idk much there, I did download the most recent update for my mobo from back in Sept 2014 but got stuck in the Flash and backed out. I do not have a multimeter but could replace the psu for about the price of one I think. What ever it is, doesn't like a big power draw. Oh i use HWmoniter and my temps do not get much higher than 70 degrees celcius on the cpu 80 on the gpu.

It is an old rig:
CPU - AMD FX-8350
Mobo- Gigabyte 990 fxa ud3 rev. 1.1
Ram -16 GB ddr3 corsair vengence 1333Mz
SSD -2 Adata 250gb raid 0
750w Apevia warlock psu
GPU-EVGA GTX 960 ssc

I put the 960 gpu back into the machine thinking it would take less power. Then after an hour or so in game I got a BSOD: StopCode DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION i then ran CCleaner to clean the registry but I will have to look into that tomorrow as far as what else the stop code could be. I have also ran chckdsk and discn . Sorry if i have those cmd lines wrong . Also Norton anti virus and MalwareBytes scans show no infection. Ok so today the pc froze in the middle of a match of COD. It looks as though the restarting, shuttingdown, freezes and bsod happens when the gpu is most stressed.

Any ideas what else to check or try would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for all your input rolli59, the new psu came two days ago and I have not had a single shutdown, restart or random start up. I always thought if a power supply was bad there would simply be no power but the lesson was learned that is not always the case.
That is how a quality PSU works a sub-par PSU like Apevia can behave very strangely.
Great it worked and enjoy.
Jan 3, 2020
Thanks
rolli59, I guess the next step is to replace the psu. I dont know if it helps prove that point but I ran furmark no problems as I said I can run prime95 no problems, I ran them together and it only took 3 minutes for the pc to restart.

Jan 3, 2020
It is a process of elimination really but high GPU load causing the issue indicates either PSU or the GPU itself.
rolli59, I have then ruled out the GPU since I have the same issues with my old GTX 760's (2) I had SLI when I swap them out from the 960 . Also I have a EVGA PSU 750w coming this week, I sure hope that does the trick. I wanted to ask though If the current failing PSU would somehow be the reason my PC starts up randomly as well?

Jan 3, 2020
It can very well be. Crossing fingers that the new PSU fixes the issue.
Thank you for all your input rolli59, the new psu came two days ago and I have not had a single shutdown, restart or random start up. I always thought if a power supply was bad there would simply be no power but the lesson was learned that is not always the case.

That is how a quality PSU works a sub-par PSU like Apevia can behave very strangely.
Great it worked and enjoy.

Solution