PC shutting down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
i know there are plenty of other people out there asking the same question but i've tried everything that has been suggested for them and nothing works for me.

my pc has been shutting down since i changed my processor, figured i'd just got a duff one as it was ex-display so exchanged it for a new one and the same thing is still happening, so don't know if that was the issue.
playing battlefield 1 with everything, more or less, set to ultra and everything is fine. Far cry primal, pretty much, maxed out in 4k is fine. play civ 6 and 10 mins in my pc shuts down and reboots.
tried the For Honour Beta and, at one point, i couldn't even access the graphics settings without it crashing.
currently playing player unknowns battlegrounds and one game can be fine and the next i'm rebooting.

my specs are: asus Z97-A motherboard (lga 1150)
corsair cx750 psu
intel i7 4790k
nvidia 980ti gpu
16gb patriot ddr3 ram
samsung 850 evo SSD 500gb
uphere water cooler plus 3 other 120mm fans

i've performed bench tests on my pc using various programs, the cpu using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (and some other programs who's names escape me), the gpu using 3d mark, the ram using memtest86 and everyting comes back passed and nothing crashes. ive not overclocked the system and tempretures always stay within normal ranges even under heavey load, i've seen people saying it could be the psu but nothing on the logs show spikes or drops for temp or voltage and i dont really fancy paying out for a new psu just to test my system, although this might be the only option.

anyone got any ideas what i could do or maybe change?

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
So I'm currently running the pc Without the gpu and have tried playing a few games on just the cpu, obviously on low settings. civ 6 seemed fine and didn't cause a shut down. Mass effect would normally shut down straight away more or less but is now staying on.
So do we think it's my gpu after all that?

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
so i tried my 980ti in my sons pc and it ran fine, no shut downs. didn't test it for long but everything seemed ok. tried his card in mine and everything was fine also, was kinda hoping something would happen just so we'd finally know.
couldn't test with his psu as its modula and i don't have the extra cables needed for my card plus its wattage is lower than mine.
so what do you think, new psu?

Which graphics card does your son have?

Test the 980TI with furmark in your son´s PC for about 2hours

So you checked with the corsair CX750 from your PC in your son´s PC?

From which CPU did you originally change to your current one?

Did you plug in the ATX12V power plug with 8pins or just 4pins?

Did you use the correct CPU cooler adapters for the socket 1151?

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
He only has a GeForce 660, which won't be drawing as much power as the 980ti. Maybe the system was more stable using less power?

I'll have to test my psu and card in his pc fully tonight and report back.

I changed from an Intel Core i5-4690K - 3.5GHz Quad-Core, and yes the correct socket adaptor was used.

The 12v is an 8 pin socket and has an 8pin plug plugged into it.

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Ok so I can't try my sons psu in my pc as i don't have the correct lead for my gpu.
I did however put my psu and gpu in his system and it shut down while playing a game.
So I swapped the gpu so it's now his setup with my psu and it's running ok, no shut downs.

When I tried his psu and card in my system it would reboot while playing a game and while rebooting would say that it had shut down due to a power surge, his psu is a lower wattage though.
Does all That make sense?

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Already sold my old cpu, should have kept hold of it for a little while.
I took a picture of my sons psu...

niVCMQ

Incase the picture doesn't show, it's a jeantech jnp-700-a12c

looks like an issue with your CPU or motherboard

Where did you get the CPU from? Is it an used or new CPU?
The symptom really points to bad cpu socket pins, but could be anything with the power regulation of the motherboard too. Or the CPU itself. Or the PCIe part of the motherboard/CPU

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
The cpu was from ebuyer. I bought an ex display one from them and started to have this trouble so got a refund and then bought this current cpu from them which is new. The problem persisted though. Maybe I damaged something while swapping them over the first time.
I did transfer everything to a new case so maybe I shorted something out or damaged it. If it was a short then the problem would be persistent with anything I tried to do though surely. Strange that some games are fine and others cause the problem and that stress testing it doesn't cause an issue.
I may have to take it to a shop and get them to have a look

Could be a coincidence. Be sure the spacers between the motherboard and case are installed correctly in the correct spots.

Remove the front panel and just plug in the reset button to the power pins of the motherboard.

BIOS is not the problem I think. We ruled this out by deactivating the sleep states C6/C7.

A short on the motherboard can do anything, because of low voltage it can occur, that it works fine and in other cases it will fail.

braddas

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
so i bit the bullet and bought a new psu, a corsair RM850x and so far.... everything has been fine. no more shutdowns. maye the old one had taken a knock or just given up the ghost. don't know really but until further notice everything is working like it should be.
thanks for all your help, i really appreciate you trying to guide me through it.