Question PC Shutting Off For No Apparent Reason - Lights Stay On!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2020
Hi there,

I built my first PC around 2 months ago, and have recently come across a problem that's very hard to find an answer to. The issue is this: occasionally (but more frequently than you would deem 'normal') when I am doing a seemingly GPU-intensive task, my PC shuts off, but doesn't seem to quite shut down, per se. My screen goes blank, and I can't do anything (like you would expect from a shut down), but all of my case lights keep working. The RGB on my fans stay lit, though the fans stop spinning, and the RGB on my graphics card also stays lit, though I don't recall my RAM staying lit. When my PC is shut down in the normal way, these lights do not stay on.

I have a feeling that this may be a power supply issue, however my PC has passed all the tests. I've run multiple CPU and GPU stress tests, which haven't forced my PC to shut off, and have also run Window's RAM checking tool which yielded no problems.

Another thing to note is that this issue has only occurred whilst I have been using the graphic design and photo manipulation software Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Affinity's forums seem to believe that the Windows applications are flawless, and that they cannot be the source of the issue, so it must be my system. I've monitored my CPU temps while using these programs, and it only reaches around a 70C maximum - I initially thought my CPU may have been overheating. I even reapplied the thermal paste for my CPU cooler, which brought my temps a few degrees.

FYI, my system is:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO AM4 Micro-ATX
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming OC, 6GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
  • PSU: SilverStone 650W Strider Gold S Power Supply
  • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2
Thanks in advance! Let me know if more information is needed.

Reactions: Kaizoku1994
Hi there,

I built my first PC around 2 months ago, and have recently come across a problem that's very hard to find an answer to. The issue is this: occasionally (but more frequently than you would deem 'normal') when I am doing a seemingly GPU-intensive task, my PC shuts off, but doesn't seem to quite shut down, per se. My screen goes blank, and I can't do anything (like you would expect from a shut down), but all of my case lights keep working. The RGB on my fans stay lit, though the fans stop spinning, and the RGB on my graphics card also stays lit, though I don't recall my RAM staying lit. When my PC is shut down in the normal way, these lights do not stay on.

I have a feeling that this may be a power supply issue, however my PC has passed all the tests. I've run multiple CPU and GPU stress tests, which haven't forced my PC to shut off, and have also run Window's RAM checking tool which yielded no problems.

Another thing to note is that this issue has only occurred whilst I have been using the graphic design and photo manipulation software Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Affinity's forums seem to believe that the Windows applications are flawless, and that they cannot be the source of the issue, so it must be my system. I've monitored my CPU temps while using these programs, and it only reaches around a 70C maximum - I initially thought my CPU may have been overheating. I even reapplied the thermal paste for my CPU cooler, which brought my temps a few degrees.

FYI, my system is:
I would try a different psu... Silerstone cuts corners on some of they're psu's saddly for some reason. I'd try evga or corsair

Reactions: PattyMan
Aug 24, 2020
Hi there, don't know if anyone will see this, but oh well...

I went out and bought a new PSU for quite a hefty price in my opinion. I got the EVGA SuperNOVA G5 650W 80 Plus Gold to replace my original one. I booted up Affinity Photo after replacing the PSU, and played around with a RAW image. Started adjusting some photo values, and, sure enough, my PC cut out. The lights on the fans stayed on, again, but this time I heard an audible "click" when the PC shut off, almost like the sound of a safety switch.

Now, I don't have the money to replace every part of my PC until I find the problem, so please don't recommend anything along that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but my guess is that I'm just going to have to put up with this (though I'm certain it's not very good for my system).

Thanks

Hi there, don't know if anyone will see this, but oh well...

I went out and bought a new PSU for quite a hefty price in my opinion. I got the EVGA SuperNOVA G5 650W 80 Plus Gold to replace my original one. I booted up Affinity Photo after replacing the PSU, and played around with a RAW image. Started adjusting some photo values, and, sure enough, my PC cut out. The lights on the fans stayed on, again, but this time I heard an audible "click" when the PC shut off, almost like the sound of a safety switch.

Now, I don't have the money to replace every part of my PC until I find the problem, so please don't recommend anything along that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but my guess is that I'm just going to have to put up with this (though I'm certain it's not very good for my system).

Thanks
No it's not good for the system at all, and very strange.

Hi there,

FYI, my system is:
So there's no audio at all but the tower itself still seems to be running?
On the mobo pull the watch type battery well the psu is unplugged. Then hold the power button for 30s on the tower x2 times then reseat the battery and plug the psu back in try to use the software at this stage.

Aug 24, 2020
So there's no audio at all but the tower itself still seems to be running?
On the mobo pull the watch type battery well the psu is unplugged. Then hold the power button for 30s on the tower x2 times then reseat the battery and plug the psu back in try to use the software at this stage.
No, I lose all audio, visual, everything. The PC is put into a shutdown state, but the fan LEDs stay on, as if the MOBO is still receiving power (well, it obviously is). Do you think it could be a wiring issue with my house? Is it possible that the power outlet that my PC is plugged into isn't letting the PSU pull as much power as it needs, and so it shuts off?

Aug 24, 2020
This exact issue is happening with me,
My build wont stop randomly restarting underload (it was freezing exactly as you described but when I changed windows auto restart it just gets black screened and none of my fans or lights go out.)
I cant even get a decent game in or video editing done without losing everything randomly, I've tried every single troubleshooting method on the internet, I even changed PSU, GPU, ram sticks, checked all of my cables, even my house power outlets.
I've tried re-installing windows from scratch, I even checked and installed all the latest drivers for all my hardware, still no change.
Heck I even returned my cooler and got top of the line water cooling but my thermals are perfectly fine, 65 to 70c max under full load, I've even tried changing system settings and DDU to make sure it's not some sort of setting or hardware interference, still nothing, I also unplugged any wireless communications or Bluetooth just to be certain that it wasn't interference.
I've watched just about every YouTube video I could to try and identify what the problem could be, read every forum on similar issues and the only things left on my list is faulty power delivery on the motherboard, defective motherboard or a defective CPU.
I hope this thread gets populated so we can find a solution.
My specs are:
i9 10850k
NZXT z63 watercooler AIO
corsair 64gb RGB vengeance pro c15 3000mhz
Gigabyte 3080 OC GPU
corsair RM1000X PSU
6tb hdd
1tb m.2 nvme ssd
These components are all brand new and just set up this week
Sounds like we have a similar issue, although I can game quite easily without an issue. I've only had it cut out on me once while gaming. Other than that, yea, it seems to be when the PC is under a high load that it cuts out, but all the lights stay on! Weird. Hopefully we can get some peace soon.. I'm sorry to hear all the trouble you've gone through trying to fix this - yours seems to be quite bad compared to mine.

Oct 18, 2020
Sounds like we have a similar issue, although I can game quite easily without an issue. I've only had it cut out on me once while gaming. Other than that, yea, it seems to be when the PC is under a high load that it cuts out, but all the lights stay on! Weird. Hopefully we can get some peace soon.. I'm sorry to hear all the trouble you've gone through trying to fix this - yours seems to be quite bad compared to mine.

If i lower the game settings it lasts longer, when i max out everything it happens quickly, i play at 1440p ultra wide at 144fps but i have a 3080 so its no issue, thermals are excellent aswell.
I will most likely change my motherboard this week or after unless a solution pops up, if i do get a new motherboard I'll update you on the details, there is still the possibility of it being the CPU

Last edited:
If i lower the game settings it lasts longer, when i max out everything it happens quickly, i play at 1440p ultra wide at 144fps but i have a 3080 so its no issue, thermals are excellent aswell.
I will most likely change my motherboard this week or after unless a solution pops up, if i do get a new motherboard I'll update you on the details, there is still the possibility of it being the CPU
It could also be the drivers for the gpu drivers for you the 3080 is a new release

Status
Not open for further replies.