PC shutting off randomly (Temperatures are fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
My computer I have built is shutting off randomly. I have had this PC in its current form for about 10 months now, and only within the past week has this problem occurred.

SPECS:
CPU- i5-6600k
Cooler- Corsair H60
MoBo- MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
RAM- GeIL Super Luce 16GB (2x8GB)
SSD- Silicon Power S60 120GB
HDD- WD Blue 1TB
Graphics Cards- EVGA GTX 970 (The main one I use and what I was using when this problem started)
Sapphire R9 270X (My spare card that I switched in to see if the 970 was the issue)
Power Supply- Corsair AX860 Platinum Certified
OS- Windows 10 64-bit

So there are two different instances in which my PC is shutting off randomly or rebooting.

Instance 1)
For the past week, most of the times I launch an intensive game or program, such as PlayerUnknown's BATTLEGROUNDS or Unigine Heaven Benchmark, it runs for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes before shutting off and rebooting. The fans are all working, and the temperatures look fine for all components (Highest temp is the GPU at max 55 degrees Celsius). Weirdly, last night I was able to launch and run PUBG for several hours without a reboot or shut off. I have not been able to replicate this since.

Instance 2)
This morning, whilst playing Rimworld (a non-intensive game similar to Dwarf Fortress), I tabbed out to look at something in Google Chrome, and when I tabbed back in, the system shut off. This was different from the previous shutdowns as the system did not immediately reboot itself after the shutdown, and would not turn back on for several minutes. When it did turn back on, I got to the windows login screen before it shut off again, not allowing me to turn the system on again for several minutes. The system then varied on how far into launching Windows and running before crashing, varying from a few minutes or indefinitely.

After these two instances cropped up, I switched out my graphics card, a GTX 970, to my spare R9 270X. The shut down problem was still there with the spare card in, so I do not think this is a issue with the GPU.

I switched back to the GTX 970, and it is not crashing immediately now, however it will shut off and reboot when I launch PUBG as I described in Instance 1.

I'm thinking it is an issue with the power supply, but since it is a high-end model I would like to think it would be something else. Perhaps it could be the motherboard too. Any thoughts or ideas on what is causing these shut downs or how to solve them are greatly appreciated!

Solution
Well, the CMOS seemed to do something for you so the motherboard is singled out as the culprit. If the PSU was the problem then you may be seeing different problems. To be safe, you could use some other known working PSU and try to run off of it. If you experience the same issues then you need to get a new motherboard.

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Yes, Windows is fully updated and the different GPUs had their most recent drivers, whenever they were in the system.

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Sorry for the late reply, here are the voltages that were recorded by HW64

Voltages Screenshot

Do any of these look out of place? I have no clue with this stuff, sorry!

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Yes, there seems to be one for every time the PC shuts down randomly. I cannot find any other codes that show any major failure before the shutdown occurs.

Here is a screenshot of the logs before and after the most recent crash.

Jwpanz

Honorable
It looks like your CPU is not receiving the correct power supply. This seems like something is faulty on either your motherboard or your PSU. My guess is that the VRM's are to blame here. Have you tried clearing your CMOS yet to see if it clears out any bugs?

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

How do I do that? That's the two pins I push together right?

Jwpanz

Honorable
Don't push any pins together as that will break the pins. Locate the CMOS pins and bridge them with a metallic object like a screwdriver for about 5 to 10 seconds. You could also locate the round CMOS battery and remove it for about 5 to 10 seconds as well.

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Alright, I took out the battery, let it sit out of the socket for a minute, and reseated it. Everything started up fine, so I hopped onto PUBG to see if it would work, and it did. I played for an hour or so, but when I closed out of it, it shut down my PC expectantly and rebooted like the previous shutdowns.

I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and go and buy a replacement for the damaged part that is causing this, what would you say is the part that is causing these crashes? The Motherboard, the PSU, etc?

Jwpanz

Honorable
Well, the CMOS seemed to do something for you so the motherboard is singled out as the culprit. If the PSU was the problem then you may be seeing different problems. To be safe, you could use some other known working PSU and try to run off of it. If you experience the same issues then you need to get a new motherboard.

Solution

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Alright, I don't have a spare PSU or a friend nearby who has one so I'm going to order a new motherboard. RIP my paycheck :rofl:

I'll let you know if all works, when I get it set up. Thanks for all the help you and everyone has given!

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Motherboard arrived today, and I installed it. Now everything works again, no shutdowns or any other problems! Thanks for the help!

EdenTosh

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

I've been away from my apartment, where the original box and everything I need to RMA it is at, for the past month and will still be gone for a few more weeks. I do plan on RMA-ing the board when I do finally get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.