[SOLVED] PC slow after clean install (

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello!

Long story short:
  1. My PC has always ran great with no slowness in or out of games.
  2. Had a network outage in our area.
  3. Came home and had issues with the PC not recognizing that the ethernet cable was plugged in (ethernet not getting IP from modem) (Note: In hindsight issue was not PC)
  4. Clean installed Windows and now internet works but PC is very slow and laggy.
  5. I do notice CPU spikes all over the place sometimes when doing very minor tasks.
I consider myself tech savvy but I am at my wits end and willing to try anything at this point. I've messed with this for a week now.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7
Processer: Intel i7-6700K
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W GOLD
Heatsink: CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB x2

What I've tried so far:
  • Clean installed Windows three times (via USB from Windows website)
  • Updated all drivers offered by Windows' update (including optional as device manager was showing some missing)
  • Updated all drivers individually prior to using Windows update
  • Updated BIOS
  • Took apart hardware and cleaned any dust out
  • Reapplied thermal paste
Thanks,
Jon

Solution
Thank you both for helping me out with this and leading me down the path I took to resolve the issue. I did look more into why the CPU was running at 800MHz and found the issue was with Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor. I disabled it within the BIOS settings and the issue is resolved.

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Yes, its slow opening File Explorer, slow opening programs, sometimes just clicking and dragging windows across to the next monitor will jerk.

Task Manager doesn't seem to be helpful the CPU always looks good. When I use another monitoring system like Afterburner I see spikes and CPU percent usages going from 0 t o100.

I've used Samsung Magician program for the SSD as well as HD Tune to check the blocks. All seems to initially be good with those .

I just ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and the results were "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors".

Complete virus/malware scan with 2 different applications?

Any unexplained growth in occupied space on the drive?

Anything change if you boot in safe mode?

Have you examined running services to see if any are peculiar or disabled any to see if that improves situation?

Anything you have set up to run "automatically"....such as a virus scan or a backup or?

Are those CPU spikes to 100 just for 2 or 3 seconds? Or?

I'd first go install all the chipset drivers (includes separate chipset, LAN, graphics, sound) for your Z170 mainboard...
(THen, you can reinstall Nvidia's driver and/or Geforce Experience, etc; also, install of Windows' updates)
(Often, until this is done, many CPUs/chipsets will default to only running at 800 MHz or so...; which would certainly contribute to it being perceived as 'very slow')

Last edited:

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I've ran Avast and Malwarebytes with no issues detected.
No unexplained growth as its a fresh install and the SSD is using 50GB of the 500GB.
AS far as services, nothing in Task Manager looks out of place and disabling the ones I know of don't change the performance issue.
I've disabled everything I can that runs automatically or starts up automatically.
The spikes are mostly that, straight to 100 for 2-3 seconds with less than 10% of them lasting longer.

I will try to boot in safe made and report back and see if there is a difference..

I will uninstall the drivers and start with the motherboard drivers first and in the order mentioned. It is definitely not a "perceived" slowness, it noticeable in how the mouse with judder around or how it takes 30 seconds for the user account control to popup after attempting to install a program.

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thank you both for helping me out with this and leading me down the path I took to resolve the issue. I did look more into why the CPU was running at 800MHz and found the issue was with Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor. I disabled it within the BIOS settings and the issue is resolved.

Solution