[SOLVED] PC Slow with decent specs?

TrueAussie

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I have had my pc for well over 2 years now, everything fine except for some issues. my computer takes forever to load programs, forever to boot up and is horrible when loading games. Is there any settings within windows or within my pc itself that would need changing?
[SPECS]
Gigaybyte Geforce GTX 1650
Intel Core i5 7400 @3.00Ghz
Nvme Sata 1TB SSD
(2 x 8) DDR4 Ram
The computer is pretty dusty but if any other specs need to be listed let me know and i'll get back to you as soon a I can. Thanks

Solution
Ive been told to reinstall windows many times, i have important photos and files kept on my pc, i really cant trust myself to take a chance on losing important stuff, if its not a bother may i ask what a reinstall can do? and is there any chance files can be lost in an installation?

The same thing a shower does for your body after you haven't washed for a month.

From what you're implying, you have a much bigger problem than a slow PC. Based on what you say, it appears these important photos and files kept on your PC are not being properly backed up.

What this means is that in your present state, the question isn't if you'll lose your important files. A full wipe of a hard drive should never cause any...
I have had my pc for well over 2 years now, everything fine except for some issues. my computer takes forever to load programs, forever to boot up and is horrible when loading games. Is there any settings within windows or within my pc itself that would need changing?
[SPECS]
Gigaybyte Geforce GTX 1650
Intel Core i5 7400 @3.00Ghz
Nvme Sata 1TB SSD
(2 x 8) DDR4 Ram
The computer is pretty dusty but if any other specs need to be listed let me know and i'll get back to you as soon a I can. Thanks

Could be many things, or it could be a combination of things. Try to do all of the following:
  • Restrict the amount of programs that turn on, on Windows Startup
  • Virus scan (malwarebytes is a good free option)
  • Driver updates (driver booster free)
  • BIOS updates & check if wverything is still runing at rated speeds
  • check temps and loads on idle and under load
  • update windows

If all of that fails, and you're still convinced it's slow. You may be unlucky and your SSD or Motherboard is slightly getting old.

TrueAussie

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Could be many things, or it could be a combination of things. Try to do all of the following:
  • Restrict the amount of programs that turn on, on Windows Startup
  • Virus scan (malwarebytes is a good free option)
  • Driver updates (driver booster free)
  • BIOS updates & check if wverything is still runing at rated speeds
  • check temps and loads on idle and under load
  • update windows
If all of that fails, and you're still convinced it's slow. You may be unlucky and your SSD or Motherboard is slightly getting old.
Hello, thanks so much for the quick reply everything listed, i have tried sadly no luck. my computer basically has always been like this since the first time i've used it, with my ssd i had bought it a week ago so i highly doubt my ssd is the issue

TrueAussie

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I see. And you've reinstalled Windows on your new NVMe?
Ive been told to reinstall windows many times, i have important photos and files kept on my pc, i really cant trust myself to take a chance on losing important stuff, if its not a bother may i ask what a reinstall can do? and is there any chance files can be lost in an installation?

Sometimes things go wrong during installation, for no reason whatsoever. A reinstall attempts to correct anything that might have been corrupted either since the start or anythijg you may have picked up along the way. You don't need to lose everything, if you have 2 storage drives on your computer, save everything important (files, pics, vids, even game installs) on your second drive (D or E) and reinstall the C drive on which Windows is installed in. That way u don't wipe the second drive and keep everything in it. Is this an optipn for you?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The same thing a shower does for your body after you haven't washed for a month.

From what you're implying, you have a much bigger problem than a slow PC. Based on what you say, it appears these important photos and files kept on your PC are not being properly backed up.

What this means is that in your present state, the question isn't if you'll lose your important files. A full wipe of a hard drive should never cause any important files to be lost and if this is the case, it means you've neglected a basic part of PC ownership.

As a rule of thumb, people will adhere to the 3-2-1 method for protecting their data. What this means is that, for all important data, you have a minimum of three copies, in a minimum of two different storage mediums, with a minimum of one copy being stored off-site.

Once you've remedied this -- and this ought to be considered an emergency, not something you get around to sometime -- then you can fully wipe the operating system drive and reinstall Windows. Windows builds up a lot of orphaned junk and fragments and conflicts and eliminating OS issues, which are very common causes of these types of problems with these vague symptoms, will aid immensely in troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting is a process of eliminating likely culprits; if you won't eliminate one of the likely culprits, then your ability to repair your PC becomes luck rather than design.

Solution