Question PC slowing down when multitasking

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
I recently upgraded my PC but Ive noticed that it becomes slow when im multitasking. For example, when I download a game from steam and watching youtube at the same time the site starts to freeze and load things slow. And its not only the site but the whole system slowes down. Ive noticed that while downloading a game the SSD usage is at 100% at all times. Is it normal or I should be worried?
Here are my PC specs if they'll help:
CPU: Intel Core i5 12600KF
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B660 DS3H
GPU: NVIDIA geforce RTX 3060 Ti
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3000Mhz DDR4
SSD #1(Where Windows is installed): Integral performance SSD 250GB
SSD #2: Kingston SSD 250 GB
Power supply: EVGA 700W
Any help is appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 700W is the advertised wattage of said PSU. What is the model of the unit? Also, when you state the SSD being at 100%, is it as soon as you boot to OS GUI? If so, and you're working with Windows 10(or later) then it's possible that you have memory leak. On a side note, how much free space do you have on both SSD's? Did you run malwarebytes on both SSD's to root out any stowaways?

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

I recently upgraded my PC
Might want to list your specs as a before and after, in order for us to see what's been changed. Also, if you swapped the motherboard out, did you reinstall the OS?

Reactions: XenatoR

XenatoR

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 700W is the advertised wattage of said PSU. What is the model of the unit? Also, when you state the SSD being at 100%, is it as soon as you boot to OS GUI? If so, and you're working with Windows 10(or later) then it's possible that you have memory leak. On a side note, how much free space do you have on both SSD's? Did you run malwarebytes on both SSD's to root out any stowaways?

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

I recently upgraded my PC
Might want to list your specs as a before and after, in order for us to see what's been changed. Also, if you swapped the motherboard out, did you reinstall the OS?
I dont know how I can see the model of the unit, SSD is at 100% only if im installing something on it, on the first SSD I have where windows is installed it has 15.8GB of free space and on the second 92.5GB free. I dont know how to run malwarebytes, I dont know how the see the version of the BIOS, my specs before were the following:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 gaming X 4GB
RAM: the same
Power supply: I only know that it was 550W
Both SSDs are the same
And yes, I reinstalled windows after swapping the motherboard

When a ssd approaches full, there are fewer available nand blocks available to handle updates.
It would seem that the rate at which you can read the download exceeds the ability of the ssd to write the data.
Hence 100% usage of the ssd.
That is not surprising.
You could consider increasing the size of your C drive.

16gb is usually plenty for doing one task like gaming.
But, if you are heavily multitasking there could be a limit on available ram.
When the system is under heavy load and slowing down, look at task manager/resource monitor/memory tab.
Look at the hard fault page rate.
If you see anything much more than zero, you can use more ram.

I dont know how I can see the model of the unit, SSD is at 100% only if im installing something on it, on the first SSD I have where windows is installed it has 15.8GB of free space and on the second 92.5GB free. I dont know how to run malwarebytes, I dont know how the see the version of the BIOS, my specs before were the following:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 gaming X 4GB
RAM: the same
Power supply: I only know that it was 550W
Both SSDs are the same
And yes, I reinstalled windows after swapping the motherboard
It would be best to keep at least 15% free space on a ssd.
As they start to get full perf can take a hit.
Perhaps do a little house cleaning.