PC Sometimes Crashes On Fullscreen Games!

Markcosta11

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Greetings,

So for a while my pc was sometimes having freezes while starting some fullscreen games (mostly heavy games like The Witcher 3/Dragon Age Inquisition), but its been more regular lately.

When the game starts the screen freezes instantly but the sound goes on for a few seconds (like 20-40 secs). After that it stays frozen and i have to restart it. Sometimes it doesnt happen at all, other times it happens 3-4 times in a row.

I recently obtained a new GPU and PSU but it used to happen with the old one as well.

Already runned some stress tests on GPU/CPU/Rams and even checked SSD/HDD health (single both games are installed in different drives), all Temps are fine, CPU not going above 60ºC and GPU not going above 70ºC.

Setup:
Processor: Intel i7-4790 3.6Ghz (Running with a Corsair H75, no leaks)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 U3 Plus Guard Pro
RAMS: 16Gb DDR3 HyperX (4x4GB - 2 of them are recent).
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1070 Ti Advanced
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ (80+ Gold).

PS: All drivers and BIOS are up to date and even BIOS updates changed nothing.

Best Regards.

1) I don't know you try this or not, if you didn't. Try use DDU to uninstall the GPU driver in safe mode, then reinstall the GPU driver again. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
2) Also update the chipset driver too https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/53/Chipsets
Now you can try use the PC to see you still get the problem or not. If the PC still crashes again, then try:

3) test the RAM one by one with MemTest86 https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
4) Also go into the BIOS hardware monitor or PC health monitor section, to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, eg +3.3V the voltage should be within +3.1V to +3.45V.

Markcosta11

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Hey,

1) Tried before on both GPU's (old and new) nothing changed, unless it really happens the game runs smoothly and without issues.
2) I usually use IOBit's Driver Booster which basicly updates and does a backup of all my current system drivers. Even so i tried updating and its the same version.
3) By testing one by one you mean removing them all and use 1 by 1 on the test?
4) On my BIOS hardware monitor these were my voltages:
- CPU Core: 1.032
- CPU I/O: 1.016
- System/3.3V: 3.328
- System/5V: 4.960
- System/12V: 12.192
- DRAM: 1.504

Thank you.

Markcosta11

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

The problem comes from before i bought the second set of ram, both sets are the same frequency and brand so compatibility shouldnt be a problem. Ill test the old ones for problems and get back to you.
Thank you.

Markcosta11

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
So after all the testing i got a new motherboard (Asus Sabertooth Mark S). Redid all the testing and been gaming for some days now. 0 problems, im guessing maybe the chipset was the problem?

Anyways thanks for the help.